<
>

Jocks to GIs: Tiger Woods

Sent: Sunday, April 6, 2003 4:31 PM
To: Demmitt Eric Capt
Subject: RE: Hello

Hi Captain Eric,

Great to hear from you and most importantly, glad you are well. Not sure if you have heard yet, but the Semi's were played yesterday and it is Kansas and Syracuse in the Final on Monday night. Should be fun.

I am off to Augusta to try and go for the three-peat. Needless to say, I am very excited about the week and look forward to the challenge. It is going to be a much different Augusta week than in years' past. You and the rest of our troops will be top of mind to all of us. In addition, there will be the "picketers" that will make this a unique year as well. I hope you guys have a chance to catch some of it on TV -- if nothing else, we hope it can be a bit of a break for you all. By the way, the net result of my sickness was that I lost 10 pounds. I have gained about half back and should be strong this week.

It is funny that you remember Janna. She was great and I loved having her work at my Foundation. She kept the office fun and laid back. I didn't realize your five year reunion was this fall. That should be a good time to catch up with some old friends.

Well, I am headed to Augusta, so I probably won't talk to you until I get back, but we are thinking about you all everyday. Stay strong and thanks again for all that you do. It is so hard for us to imagine the struggles you face each day and I have the utmost respect for all of you.

Stay safe,

Tiger

Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2003 11:44 PM
To: Tiger Woods
Subject: Hello

Hey Tiger,

Thanks for the E-mail! Yes, I'm staying safe here and really appreciate yours and the rest of America's thoughts and prayers! Well, I did get a chance to catch the Elite 8 and, unfortunately, saw both of my two picks go down...oh well, I guess there's always next year...Go Card! To tell you the truth, though, I'm an underdog man and would love to see Marquette take it all but Kansas is really playing some good ball so Marquette will have to come with their A-game.

Well, I didn't get a chance to see the Player's Championship but caught the highlights on Sportscenter. Your eagle on the 2d was saweet!...it's a bummer you weren't able to get a good run going but there's always next year (as well as the Masters next week). I'm not much of a real golfer but have a mean mini golf swing and have eagled a hole or two in my day. ;) Believe it or not we have a mini golf course here at my base that's really quite nice. I've played a few rounds but have yet to hit a hole in one...guess I'll have to head out to the "putting range" to get in some practice rounds! ;)...

That's cool you still keep in touch with Janna, she was always so friendly and cheerful. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see her as well as some of our other classmates at our 5-year reunion this fall. About the questions you had for me, day to day life isn't too bad. For instance, I woke up this morning, went to breakfast, caught up on E-mail (hence this note to you), will hit the gym a bit later, dig into my logistics on-the-job study materials, and then head to work. At work, I'll work with my folks to schedule and receive troops and equipment coming into and heading out of my base. I can't really discuss numbers of troops at the base but can tell you that, in my office, there's about 10 troops.

Regarding sleep, yes, I do get a chance to get in some Zs so it's not too bad. Well, Tiger, I'll let you get going. Thanks so much for the E-mail and your thoughts and concerns for me as well as all of our troops who are serving our country! Take care.

BTW, are you competing in this weekend's BellSouth Classic or are you resting up for the Masters?

Capt Eric Demmitt

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 4:20 PM
To: Demmitt Eric Capt
Subject: Jocks2GIs

Hi Captain Eric,

Great to hear from you and happy that you are safe. Wanted to let you know that it is great to communicate with a fellow Stanford Alum and that we are all very proud of you. Keep up the great work. Without you, everyone's lives would be so different.

Don't know if you got to see any sports over the weekend (I would guess not), but your two picks of Kentucky and Oklahoma are out! The first semifinal game on Saturday will be Marquette against Kansas and the second semifinal game will be Texas against Syracuse. Personally, I like Kansas versus Texas in the final with Kansas winning it all -- Roy Williams deserves it. I played in the Player's Championship over the weekend and finished 11th. Had a chance on Sunday when I eagled the second, but just did not have my best game and could not put the run together.

I stayed in touch with Janna--in fact, she ended up working for my Foundation for a few years after school. I still hear from her every once in a while. I really only have basic questions for you--what is it like day to day? Any chance to sleep? How many troops are with you? I do not want to ask too much. I realize that what you are doing is highly confidential--really, I just wanted to communicate with you and let you know how proud we all are that you are fighing this war for us and to hang in there. I look forward to talking to you again soon.

Best regards,

Tiger

Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 3:41 PM
To: Tiger Woods
Subject: Jocks2GIs

Tiger,

How goes it? You probably don't remember me but I was a classmate of yours at Stanford when you were there your Frosh and Soph years from Aug 94-Jun 96. I don't know if you still keep in touch with them but we had a few common friends in Josh Gleason (decathlete) and Janna (I don't remember her last name but she was from Washington State and had frizzy blonde hair--I think she lived in Alondra our Frosh year).

Anyway, I'm sure you're used to hearing it so I'll keep it brief, but You Da' Man!...I saw you on SportsCenter the other day with highlights of your win while ill with food poisoning...way to go, Boss!

Well, I'm sure you're wondering what deployed military life is like and what I do. Basically, my job is to coordinate the movement of troops into and out of my base (I can't say the exact location just that it's a forward operating base in Southwest Asia) in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. I've been here about 5 weeks and am enjoying it so far. Like most of the folks in the states, we do a lot of CNN watching but I've made it a point to try and catch as much of the NCAA Men's Basketball tourney as possible (I've got Kentucky beating Oklahoma in the final)!

Well, please drop me a line when you get a chance and let me know how things are going for you as well as what types of questions you have for me.

Capt Eric Demmitt, US Air Force
Stanford '98