>

Jocks to GIs: Tiki Barber

See previous e-mail between Tiki Barber and Joe Campanelli:

April 2-6, 2003

Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2003 4:46 PM
To: Campanelli Joe TSgt 376 ECS/SCBS
Subject: RE: Hey

Hey man,

Thanks for the advice with my son. It's a crazy world we live in and the minute AJ was born my focus in life changed. It wasn't about me and my wife anymore, it's about him and making sure he grows up nourished and loved, knows right from wrong so that when we finally have to let him go we won't have to worry.

So your son, Joseph is a big kid. Does he play any sports? Hey, before I forget, we have to find a way to work on that daughter of yours and convert her from a Cowboys fan.

You know, I didn't exactly take a pay cut. I did a simple restructure, which shifted money from my base salary into a signing bonus (which gets prorated over the remaining life of my contract) and in effect lowers my salary cap number, which frees up cap space for us to sign other players. What I'm actually taking home this year is still the same. Our teams live and die by the salary cap, that's really all the matters in our business b/c we all have to be under a specific number. It keeps the playing field even in a sense, so that big market teams who generate more revenue (we also revenue share) don't have an advantage in signing players. It's great for the players b/c almost all the teams have a shot at winning the big one at the start of the season.

So, since you've been in the Air Force since '84 have you been involved in a lot of these types of conflicts? I was always a math/science kid growing up, I wanted to know how things worked. But as I've gotten older, I've become more and more interested in history. I just finished a book on Lewis and Clark and their encounters with the Native Americans and now I'm reading one on the founding fathers and the revolutionary wars. I know that wars are as much a part as human history as procreation itself, and I know that this war has justified merits, but I always wonder what it's like for someone actually involved and what runs through your mind.

Some of my earliest memories were of my mom taking me to the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall and finding my grandfather's name... William T. Brickhouse, 101st Screaming Eagles. Now that I have a son it really interests me b/c my father-in-law (the Korean half of my wife) was in the Korean War and Vietnam, and he has so many experiences, probably many more than he could ever tell. I guess I just hope for an appreciation of all the military history that has preceeding my time and is occuring as we speak. It's what defines all of us as a nation and it's very inspirational to think what our country has fought for since its inception. Really, that's why it's such an honor for me to be able to talk with you.

I'm going to run. Take care. Talk to you soon.

God Bless and God Speed.

Tiki

Sent: Sunday, April 6, 2003 10:49 PM
To: Tiki Barber
Subject: Hey

Hey,

I was getting worried that I was boring you or something... haha. Very cool that your into computers and such. A great field, but it is always changing. So if you don't keep up you get left behind.

I am glad you plan on staying in NY. You represent everything that is good in professional sports. I read yesterday that you took a cut in pay to make room in the cap for the team. From my perspective that is the ultimate sacrifice and it shows that you have a true love for the game and you are committed to your team. My hat goes off to you. Too many athletes today are all about the "Benjamin's" and they loose sight of what got them there. Love of the game. As for a Championship, don't get wrapped around the axles on that one... There have been alot of great players that have never gotten one and that does not take anything from them...

I did not know about the baby, sorry since I have been here I have not been keeping up on things. I probably had heard, but news of the outside world seems to get grayed out sometimes. Like I said before, kids are one of the greatest joys in the world. I know that I am not old, but I have raised two great kids and I guess sometimes I feel like an expert... One of the biggest things you and Ginny should try and do, is never let AJ see you argue or disagree on things that concern him. Make a united stand and stick by your guns. Never let him see you guys fight, that scares kids and they don't need that, and spoil the hell out of him, cause he will only be little once, and when he gets big you will miss your "little guy".

As far as having a beautiful wife, I have seen pictures and your not lying.. hahaha. I have lots of friends that are mixed and together with their spouse have mixed kids of all flavors and your right, you get some gorgeous results. Me being Italian and Nancy being Mexican, Danni is beautiful as well as mean as a snake... Kinda good for a girl, so she won't take any crap.

As for you and Rhonde, do you guys share feelings, like when your sick does he get sick?? I have a friend here and her twin sister is in the AF too. When one is sick the other is sick. I think it is cool.

I am sorry you never knew your Grandfather, I am sure he was a Brave guy. Vietnam was an ugly time to be in the military. You had enemies on both fronts. Hard to stay focused and dedicated to the mission..

Well it was great to hear from you again. It's nice to see just how normal my heroes are ...

God Bless and Thanks again..

Joe