Jocks to GIs: Brad Faxon

See previous e-mail between Brad Faxon and Lee Yarbrough:

April 2-4 | April 5 | April 6-7 | April 8-12

Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 10:08 PM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310
Subject: RE: Short memory

Hey Lee,

It is almost 11 pm on Wednesday and I am getting ready for round 1 at Harbor Town, one of my favorite courses on Tour. What a different attitude and intensity this week. It is a great place to be after last week in Augusta. Today was the pro am and I had a couple retired military guys come up to me and thank me for what I am doing for their moral! They have been reading the emails on ESPN and love it! It keeps amazing me the people that read this stuff.

A friend of mine that was with us in Augusta last week, Chip Brookhart, read our emails and wrote this to me tonight. "Our freedom is earned by their strength and blood, not by the people who exercise the freedoms fought for so valiantly." I love that and agree with him. We can't believe how lucky we are to live in the USA!

We really hope you get to get back soon and see the birth of Jane Yarbrough. I will call Anita and give her the info and make sure when you get back you have a few things waiting for you. You will have the best equipment in the Chop Open! How far do you hit it and what shaft do you have now? Do you hit it high or low? What loft is on your driver? Have you hit the X ball yet? What about putters?

I play early tomorrow with defending champ, Justin Leonard. He is great to play with and his wife Amanda, and Dory are friends.

I sincerely hope the Iraqi people realize how fortunate they are now and that they can someday believe we are an ally and want the best for them. The press has shown lots of the looting and rioting and protesting that they are doing. Like you said, we need to educate them and show them how a democracy works.

You take care of yourself and tell all the guys hello and keep up the great work.

All the best,

Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 8:31 AM
To: Brad Faxon
Subject: Short memory

Thank you for the wonderful recap of your time at Augusta. I am sure in your line of work that you must have a short memory in order to survive, so I hope you only carry the good thoughts on with you to HHI.

Things here are moving so fast right now we don't know what to think; but they are moving in a positive direction -- back toward Georgia! Although no official words have come down for my unit, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting very bright. Anita is just so thrilled that I am even discussing returning home. I have missed her so much, but I would not change one thing.

I will let you know when I am returning to the States. Tell you folks at Titileist that I bought a set of 690 CB irons! I did not even really know about them but when I was checking out your equipment I started reading about how awesome they are so I bought a set. Can't wait to hit them, as well as the 983K.

Chat with you soon,

PS - got a day off tomorrow!!

Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 11:21 PM
To: Lee Yarbrough 363 EACCS/CREW310
Subject: RE: Happy Palm Sunday

It is late Sunday in Augusta and it was an amazing few days. After Friday's double round in the cold, we had two of the most glorious days you could imagine. Blue skies, slight winds and temps in the low 80's made for perfect golf weather. The course was not at its fastest, but the greens were quick and still holding a bit. Fairways were soft so that mud occasionally got on our balls and the rough, here at Augusta, was actually pretty thick. Mike Weir beat Lenny Mattiace in a playoff and it was great to watch. Weir holed every putt inside 8 feet all week and Lenny made an awesome charge with a final round 65. It is still the best golf on TV. There is no other tournament I would rather win. The Masters has lost a bit of its individuality because of the added rough and trees and the extra yardage.

It was great to watch without commercials, at least we can thank Martha for that! There was no sign of Jesse or the other protestors, only Martha and a few of her team. They lost any momentum when she tried to talk about women and war. She lost all credibility she might have had at that point.

I want you to know how after shooting a 79 while in contention really saps the energy from you. I had been playing so well and made an 8 hole and could never recover. I tried my hardest and went out today thinking that I could play for pride and at least be respectable. I thought about how you must feel waking up in SA every day and having to fly those hours. You have made it easy for me to put golf in perspective.

I want to share a quick story with you. As we were leaving the club a guy in a Pinkerton uniform asked if he could talk to me for a minute. His name was Bill Morris and he was a US Marine. He thanked me for all I was doing for the guys and helping out with their morale. He had been over to the gulf already and was maybe heading back. he gave us chills with what he said and I told him if a bullet hit him it would bounce off he was so strong! He made my gang extra proud of you and all the guys and girls in the armed forces. It was so cool to see the POW's found alive today.

We head to HHI tomorrow for the Heritage, one of my favorite tournaments. It's nice to have a few days to wind down.

Get back soon,

Your friend,

Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 12:52 AM
To: Brad Faxon
Subject: Happy Palm Sunday

Hi Brad,

I know yesterday was a struggle, had quite a few days like that since I have
been deployed, but please go out this Palm Sunday and let it rip. Have a
blast and enjoy your surroundings. You have really made this my most
enjoyable Masters ever, thank you.

Watching you out there and knowing that you are thinking about me and my
fellow Americans that are here, really is a treat.

Drop me a line when able.

Your bud,