CHICAGO -- Despite being forced out of Sunday's 5-3 loss with what turned out to be a bruised left calf, Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko could return to action as soon as Monday in the opener of a four-game series against the New York Yankees.
"We've got two lineups for tomorrow just in case he can't play and just in case he's not available," said manager Ozzie Guillen, who added that if he had to guess he would say that Konerko isn't going to play Monday.
Konerko was hit around the left knee in the fourth inning by a fastball from Red Sox starter Andrew Miller. He went to the ground immediately, but got to his feet and took first base.
After the inning, though, Konerko asked out of the game and was replaced on defense by Brent Lillibridge, who was making his first career appearance at first base. Lillibridge has been taking ground balls at first ever since Mark Teahen was traded last week.
X-rays on Konerko during the game were negative. He is essentially being listed as day to day and a stint on the disabled list is not expected.
"When PK took himself out of the game, it's not a concern but I know that guy was hurt," Guillen said. "When I went to the plate (to check on Konerko), I've managed him for a little while, I knew this guy can tolerate some pain and tough it out. When I got back to the dugout, I told (Juan Pierre) to get loose because I don't think he's going to make it."
Lillibridge moved from left field to first base while Pierre entered the game and went to left.
Without Konerko, the team leader in batting average, home runs and RBIs, the White Sox were unable to score for the remainder of the game and the Red Sox rallied for the victory.
Doug Padilla covers the White Sox for ESPNChicago.com.