MESA, Ariz. -- Chicago Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said on Sunday that closer Carlos Marmol will fly into Arizona on Sunday evening and is expected to report to camp Monday morning.
Marmol has been dealing with a domestic abuse allegation in the Dominican Republic that he denies. Police investigated the woman's claim, but did not find grounds to proceed with a criminal complaint against the 30-year-old pitcher.
Marmol, who is entering the final season of a three-year, $21 million contract, is considering filing a suit against the woman in civil court, according to a source familiar with the proceedings.
Epstein confirmed it's a civil case at this point.
"It's the organization's responsibility to take all accusations like that very seriously," Epstein said. "It was our decision to look into it a little bit. We don't have all the information, but all the information we have been able to gather backs up Carlos' story that he is not guilty of any wrongdoing whatsoever.
"He may in fact be the victim here, if this case continues to be pursued like this, so all we can do is evaluate it on the merits. So far what we have seen backs Carlos' story, and we will continue to support him. We do expect that this matter will be behind him shortly based on the way it is proceeding in the Dominican courts."