Trulon Henry (hand) done for season

ST. LOUIS -- Illinois linebacker Trulon Henry will miss the rest of the regular season after he was shot in the hand during a shooting at a large house party near campus hours.

Coach Ron Zook said on Sunday the incident happened after the slumping Illini lost their fourth game in a row.

Henry had surgery Sunday to repair the injury.

Urbana police said two thers were wounded in the shooting that occurred before 3:30 a.m. Sunday, just across the street from the campus health center and a student dorm near some of the school's Greek organizations.

Zook said several Illinois players -- largely underclassmen who weren't immediately publicly identified -- were at the party before the gunfire that police said followed a fight. None of the other Illini was hurt by the gunfire or took part in the dustup that preceded it.

Henry was not attending the gathering but -- "being the leader that he is" -- only went to there to clear out the other players after learning the get-together was "getting a little crazy," Zook said.

The loss of Henry -- a 27-year-old senior and two-year starter who last year played safety -- could compound the troubles for Illinois (6-4, 2-4 Big Ten). The Illini lost 31-14 to Michigan on Saturday.

Henry's possible availability for a bowl game appears unclear, Zook said.

Henry, who last season earned all-Big 10 honorable mention after leading the Illini with three interceptions and forced two fumbles, is ninth on the team in tackles and has two interceptions. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound senior had a solo tackle and an assisted one Saturday against the Wolverines.

Henry, a Washington D.C., native who's married and has a daughter, is the older brother of Arrelious Benn, a former Illini standout wide receiver now playing with the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The injury of Henry, who once served time in prison for a grocery store robbery before his 2007 release, marks the second time in recent years an Illini player has been injured trying to help teammates.

In December 2008, linebacker Martez Wilson -- now with the New Orleans Saints -- survived being stabbed in the back while reportedly aiding a former teammate who was outnumbered and being beaten outside a Champaign bar.

Police never made an arrest.