Bill 36 began Naval Academy mascot training this season. A month ago, it looked like he might not make it to the big game with his twin brother and two older goats nearing retirement.
Bill 36 was nauseated and struggling to breathe. He was rushed from Annapolis, Maryland, to the nearest large-animal hospital, the New Bolton Center outside Philadelphia.
Tests showed he might have eaten an azalea bush, which is toxic to goats. A University of Pennsylvania veterinarian put a tube down his throat and gave him medicine to absorb the toxins. He soon recovered.
Having been lucky himself, Bill 36 will head to Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday in hopes of bringing the Midshipmen good luck.