As we do every year, we've prepared a comprehensive team-by-team rundown of the new gear that will be on display this season in the American. In addition to uniform changes, we've included updates to logos, equipment, field designs and anything else related to a team's visual program. If a school isn't listed here, that means it hasn't yet announced any changes for this season, at least that we're aware of (though schools will undoubtedly be unveiling additional uniforms and helmets -- blackout, whiteout, camouflage, stars and stripes, chrome and so on -- as the season progresses).
Ready? Deep breath -- here we go.
• The American Athletic Conference wants to have the same status as the so-called Power 5 conferences, so late last season, several American Athletic schools began wearing "P6" helmet decals for "Power Six." Look for most schools in the conference to continue doing that this year (additional info here and here).
• No photos yet, but Houston's familiar "UH" helmet logo will have a Texas flag theme for the season opener against UTSA on Sept. 2.
• Very nice new set for Navy. The gold chest lettering looks great on the home jersey, and the six-stripe motif, representing America's six naval fleets, works well on the shoulders and pants.
Good look at Navy's new home uniform. pic.twitter.com/PyJhJG9oYY— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 7, 2017
Good look at Navy's new road uniform. pic.twitter.com/Ga7CufbCAN— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 7, 2017
• Nothing new on the design front at Temple, but here's an interesting story: Deep-pocketed donors can now sponsor the team's nine single-digit uniform numbers, which are typically assigned to the team's "toughest players." If you've already bought a luxury box and have money left over, this is right up your alley.
• Here's great news out of Tulane, which will now have its excellent "angry wave" logo at midfield:
• No photo yet, but Tulsa is adding a memorial patch for school president Steadman Upham, who passed away July 30. A team spokesman says the patch will be white with black letters that read "Stead."
In addition, the Golden Hurricane have a new field design this year, along with new shoes and gloves:
New turf and field design this season for Tulsa. pic.twitter.com/289kiwgeW5— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 19, 2017
New shoes/gloves for Tulsa. pic.twitter.com/LH8pvOHU7l— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 19, 2017