As we do every year, we've prepared a comprehensive team-by-team rundown of the new gear that will be on display this season in the Mountain West Conference. In addition to uniform changes, we've included updates to logos, equipment, field designs and anything else related to a team's visual program. If a school isn't listed here, that means it hasn't yet announced any changes for this season, at least that we're aware of (though schools will undoubtedly be unveiling additional uniforms and helmets -- blackout, whiteout, camouflage, stars and stripes, chrome and so on -- as the season progresses).
Ready? Deep breath -- here we go.
• Air Force will wear a 70th anniversary patch for the Oct. 14 game against UNLV:
Air Force will wear 70th-anniversary patch on Oct. 14 vs. UNLV. pic.twitter.com/xCIY5MTH7R— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 3, 2017
In addition, the Falcons will wear an alternate jersey and helmet for the Nov. 11 game against Wyoming (Veteran's Day), but the design hasn't yet been finalized.
• Boise State has added some interesting shoulder stripes, which look particularly good on the white jerseys:
Boise State's latest uniform set features new shoulder stripes. pic.twitter.com/GzNabJlh0w— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 8, 2017
In addition, the Broncos' jerseys now have "Blue Collar" embroidered on, uh, the blue collar (more on that here):
Boise State jerseys now have "Blue Collar" embroidered on the inner collar. pic.twitter.com/rOiTeLo36Q— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 8, 2017
Also: Former Boise State football coach and athletic director Lyle Smith recently passed away at the age of 101. A team spokesman says some sort of memorial is likely -- possibly a helmet decal, a field logo or both -- but plans haven't yet been finalized.
• Most subtle move of the year goes to Colorado State, which has added "CSU" and "Rams" to a pair of extremely inconspicuous spots on its Riddell helmets. Equipment manager Kris Young says the Rams are the first team in the nation to do this.
Colorado State adding team branding to spots where Riddell normally puts its own branding. CSU equip mgr says they're first team to do this. pic.twitter.com/faDtnMhnHp— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 9, 2017
The stadium has its own inaugural-season logo. For now, it's just being used for marketing purposes, with no plans to use on the team's jerseys or helmets.
• Fresno State will retire Derek Carr's No. 4 during halftime of the season opener against Incarnate Word on Sept. 2.
• Hawaii is the latest team to switch to matte-finish helmets (additional info here):
• Very straightforward new design for Nevada. The set includes a new matte-blue helmet, and new coach Jay Norvell has restored players' names to the back of their jerseys -- something the Wolf Pack haven't done since 2013 (additional info here).
New Nevada uniforms. Player names included for first time since 2013. pic.twitter.com/uxApsrJAiQ— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 20, 2017
Nevada's new helmet. Matte navy w/ silver flake. Facemask, which was silver, is now navy. pic.twitter.com/t9o4DeyNYO— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 20, 2017
• Downgrade of the season goes to San Jose State, which has changed from Nike to Adidas, with disastrous results:
SJSU changing from Nike to Adidas this year. Old version on left, new on right. pic.twitter.com/MQ2fKHa2Zm— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 7, 2017
• UNLV is commemorating its 50th season with a new logo, which will be worn as a helmet decal and will appear on the field:
UNLV adding 50th-season helmet decal. Logo will also appear on the field. pic.twitter.com/ReVzBTgkaP— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 19, 2017
In addition, the Rebels will wear a 1984 throwback helmet for the season-opening game against Howard on Sept. 2. It's similar to the one from the Randall Cunningham era but without the center striping (because the team now has the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" decal on the back), and the face mask and side lettering are metallic red instead of flat red.
UNLV throwback helmet for home opener vs. Howard on 9/2. Similar to '84 Cunningham-era but no center stripe. Red lettering/mask are chrome. pic.twitter.com/VxA0D46IFq— Paul Lukas (@UniWatch) August 22, 2017
In other helmet news, UNLV is offering a set of mini-helmets to fans who buy season tickets (further info here):