The university originally was named North Carolina A&M and its nickname was the Farmers. The Farmers played their first official football game against Tennessee in 1893, winning 12-6 in Raleigh. The team played on whatever university grounds happened to be available until 1907, when it enjoyed the first opportunity to play in an actual stadium. The Farmers had by then come to be called the Red Terrors, who played that championship season at New Athletic Park -- later to be known as Riddick Stadium. The student body had voted in 1912 to name the venue for Wallace Carl Riddick, who coached the football team in its 1898 and 1899 seasons.
Riddick Stadium closed shop for N.C. State -- at that point dubbed the Wolfpack -- at season's end in 1965, culminating with a 3-0 victory over Florida State. A new venue, originally named Carter Stadium in honor of two university graduates -- Wilbert J. "Nick" Carter and Harry C. Carter -- debuted Oct. 8, 1966, to a 31-21 loss to South Carolina. The next season Carter Stadium opened with a jamboree doubleheader of the "Big Four" in North Carolina. State beat UNC, 13-7, in the afternoon game and the night game had Duke defeating Wake Forrest 31-13.
The facility was renamed in 1978, when the surname of Albert E. Finley -- a local businessman, former Army second lieutenant and strong supporter of Wolfpack athletics -- was added to its title. Carter-Finley Stadium now seats more than 57,000 fans.
In 1977 and 1978, the Wolfpack were led in tackles by a relentless linebacker from Pennsylvania named Bill Cowher, who would later go on to coach the NFL's Steelers for 15 seasons. His Pittsburgh teams reached the Super Bowl twice and won eight divisional titles.