Year Opened: 1994
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
Rutgers, where intercollegiate football originated in 1869, is the latest university to add corporate sponsorship to its football stadium, signing a deal on June 21, 2011. Rutgers Stadium, opened in 1994, is now known as High Point Solutions Stadium.
High Point Solutions Inc., an information technology supplier that opened in 1996 in Sparta, N.J., is paying Rutgers an estimated $6.5 million over 10 years for naming rights, according to the school.
Rutgers Stadium was expanded by about 12,000 seats before the 2009 season at a cost of $100 million as demand for tickets increased and now has a capacity of more than 52,000.
The first college football game was played between Rutgers and Princeton on Nov. 6, 1869 (a Rutgers victory with a tally of 6-4 using a scoring system very different from current standards), at College Field, now the location of Rutgers' basketball arena. The teams played again a week later with Princeton winning 8-0.
The Scarlet Knights played at Neilson Field in New Brunswick, N.J., from 1981 to 1938, before the opening of the original Rutgers Stadium, where the team played through 1993.
The stadium has hosted NCAA soccer and lacrosse championships, as well as several New Jersey high school championship games.
Rutgers often is called the Birthplace of College Football because of the sports' inaugural tilt.
"The First Game" statue at Rutgers Stadium is located along the so-called "Scarlet Walk," wherein the team travels in and among fans before each home game and touches the statue for luck en route to the stadium. During the game a cannon fires after every Rutgers score.
Rutgers was not known as the Knights until the 1950s. The school was originally known as Queen's College and its athletic teams were referred to as the Queensmen. The official mascot was a giant, felt figure of an earlier campus symbol, the Chanticleer. Though it's meant to be a fighting bird, to some the Chanticleer was seen more akin to a chicken. The Chanticleer nickname stuck for nearly 30 years.
In the early 1950s, a process to change the name began and Knights, showing the RU fighting spirit, emerged as the popular choice. By 1955, the Scarlet Knights had become the Rutgers mascot.
Scarlet became the school's official color almost by default. Originally, students wanted orange, depicting the school's Dutch heritage. But an orange flag could not be found; since scarlet ribbons were in abundance, scarlet became the convenient choice. It later was discovered that the Dutch Prince of Orange actually used red, not orange, in his family coat of arms, so the choice was appropriate after all. The scarlet color was adopted by the school in 1900 and has never changed.