Year Opened: 1922
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
In 1922, as the E. H. Latham Co. of Columbus was putting the final details on new Ohio Stadium, there were lingering trepidations among many university officials that the stadium would never be filled to capacity. Ohio Stadium was finished as the largest poured-concrete structure in the world. It could seat 66,210.
Ohio Stadium -- also known as The Horseshoe -- may have debuted to some anxiety on campus, but there are no worries now, however, as it seats more than 102,000 of the most avid, Michigan-loathing fans in the nation.
While it wouldn't be until after WWII that the Buckeyes regularly sold out their home games, attendance would grow steadily from the 25,000 fans who witnessed the opening-day game against Ohio Wesleyan University on Oct. 7, 1922. Just three weeks later the Buckeyes would lose their dedication game to Michigan, 21-0, in front of 72,000. By 1925, 90,411 fans would show up at another matchup against Michigan; it marked the last time standing-room-only tickets were sold at Ohio Stadium.
The record capacity at The Horseshoe has been set and broken occasionally since then, the last time Sept. 12, 2009, when 106,033 saw the No. 8 Buckeyes lose a tight contest to third-ranked USC, 18-15.
To get to the stadium on the banks of the Olentangy River, one must navigate Woody Hayes Drive, a fitting tribute to one of the most influential coaches in all of sports. Indeed, there may not be another coach so synonymous to his university than Woody Hayes is to Ohio State.
Football wouldn't be what it is without tradition, and OSU could hold a seminar on meaningful traditions. A gold charm replica of a pair of football pants is given to players and coaches following a win over hated rival Michigan. This tradition started in 1934, when first-year coach Francis Schmidt told a group of people wondering how the Buckeyes would fare with the Ann Arbor enemy, "They put their pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else." Schmidt's teams defeated the Wolverines four consecutive times, all by shutout.
Another great tradition that has taken place since 1934 is the planting of trees at Buckeye Grove, located at the southwest corner of the stadium. Typically taking place during a pregame ceremony, the planting of another Buckeye tree is performed in honor of the latest Ohio State All-American.
A wonderful moment for seniors since it begin in 1913 comes during the final home practice, when the seniors hit the blocking sleds one last time as a group while the rest of the squad watches.