Year Opened: 1929
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
A final renovation in 2006 raising capacity to more than 70,000 propelled this storied heartland football destination into the top-20 list of largest college-owned stadiums in the nation. Kinnick was voted best stadium in the Big Ten by The Sporting News in 2007 and 2009.
It's clear the facility lived up to its reputation upon introducing "Black and Gold Spirit Night" on Oct. 2, 2010, when a raucous homecoming crowd in waves of team colors witnessed a 24-3 drubbing of No. 22 Penn State. The Hawkeyes own a 44-9 record since the 2002 season, ranking them 11th in the nation and second in the Big Ten conference over that period of time.
Formerly known as Iowa Stadium and opened in 1929, Kinnick Stadium has a long and storied tradition of home dominance that began with the opening game, a 46-0 shellacking of Monmouth College on Oct. 5 of that season. Two weeks later Iowa played Illinois to a hard-fought 7-7 tie during the dedication game.
In 1972, the venue's name was changed to honor to the school's 1939 Heisman Trophy winner, Nile Kinnick. Kinnick died in service during WWII and remains the university's sole Heisman recipient.
The Hawkeyes nickname was borrowed from the James Fenimore Cooper classic "The Last of the Mohicans." Hawkeye was applied to a hero in Cooper's book who hunted and lived with the Delaware Indians. Iowa judge David Rorer and publisher James G. Edwards championed the nickname and worked to popularize it within the territory of Iowa. The editor of the Fort Madison Patriot, Edwards eventually moved his paper to Burlington and renamed it the Hawkeye. Indeed, Iowa's residents would go on to adopt the name and the university duplicated the moniker.