Year Opened: 1923
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
The Golden Bears will play all of their 2011 home games at AT&T Park (click here to consult the website for the AT&T Park Stadium Guide), while Cal's Memorial Stadium is undergoing a major retrofit that is to be finished in time for the 2012 season. The $321 million renovation to Memorial Stadium includes replacing the bleachers and turf (both of which willl be reused and recycled), as well as making upgrades for seismic safety and adding a new press box, wider concourses and more restrooms and concession areas.
The stadium was built for $1.4 million and modeled after the Colosseum in Rome. It opened for "The Big Game" against arch rival Stanford in 1923 before 73,000 -- the largest football crowd on the West Coast at the time. The stadium is located in Strawberry Canyon and surrounded by pine trees to the east and, to the west, sweeping views of the campus, San Francisco and its namesake bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond.
The Big Game is the most noted aspect of the traditional rivalry between Cal and Stanford and was started in 1892, although the term "Big Game" was first used in 1900. It is one of the 10 oldest rivalries in major college football and, since 1933, the winner is given the Stanford Axe to keep for a year. In even-numbered years, the game is played at Berkeley, while in odd-numbered years, it is played at Stanford.
None of games was more indelible than the 1982 version, when California managed to spoil Stanford quarterback John Elway's final game, 25-20, with what is simply termed "The Play" -- a five-lateral kickoff return on the final play. It culminated with Cal's Kevin Moen scoring a touchdown while knocking down a Stanford trombone player after the Cardinal band had taken the field in anticipation of what was thought to be certain victory.
The Big "C" is located on Charter Hill above Memorial Stadium and was built in 1905 by the classes of 1907 and 1908. The Rally Committee is in charge of repainting the Big "C." Also a part of Charter Hill is an area with a view of the playing field called Tightwad Hill, where fans can catch the action from a relatively flat and comfortable perch if they are unable to obtain a ticket during a sellout or, more famously, just don't want to pay to enter the stadium.
The California Victory Cannon debuted at the 1963 Big Game and is shot before each home football game, after each Cal score and after each win.
Oski the bear is the official school mascot and has been in costume, complete with oversized shoes and white, padded gloves, since 1941. Prior to that time live bear mascots were used with varying success. Oski is named after the popular "Oski Wow-Wow" school yell.