LaVell Edwards Stadium
Year Opened: 1964 | Field Surface: Natural Grass
Brigham Young's football stadium opened in 1964 as Cougar Stadium, replacing a much smaller 5,000-seat stadium of the same name. New Cougar Stadium had a capacity of just less than 30,000. The Cougars' major stadium expansion came in 1982, when the capacity was increased to 65,000 and permanent concrete stands were put in place. The playing field was lowered and the track removed. The stadium was renamed for legendary coach LaVell Edwards after he retired in 2000.
More luxury seats were added in 2003 and that reduced capacity slightly to 64,045. The luxury seats were immediately noticeable because they spelled out BYU in blue and white block letters. In summer 2010, the capacity was reduced to 63,725 after renovations allowing for handicapped seating.
The LaVell Edwards Stadium press box is one of the finest in the nation and has been dubbed the "Provo Marriott" by media. The press box is more than 10 stories high, with four levels, and runs the entire length of the stands on the stadium's west side.
BYU's nationally recognized "Y" Mountain began in April 1906.
School president George Brimhall commissioned the letters B, Y and U to be painted on the mountain just east of the campus. The Y was laid out first for centering purposes. But it took so long for one letter to be completed, more than a full day, that plans for the other letters were scrapped.
A layer of rock was added in 1907. In 1908, sand and cement were carried up the mountain to form a wall to help hold the letter together. Much later it underwent another facelift as its current appearance took shape.
The Y attracts students for its views and is lit during homecoming, as well as for graduation and other major events.
The Cougar was selected as the school's mascot in the 1920s by football coach Eugene Roberts. The school bought two live cougar cubs for 50 cents apiece in 1924, and live cougars were on the sidelines for much of the next three decades.
The live cougars proved to be too much work and, in 1953, a costumed Cosmo the Cougar made an appearance. The name Cosmo came from the student body's diverse population. In 2001, a local restaurant purchased a custom van for Cosmo, called the Cosmobile, which makes appearances at athletic events and features special lights, a fog machine and a graphic design wrap on the outside.
The BYU Victory Bell, located on the southwest corner of the Marriott Center, is rung after each home victory. The bell was placed (and misplaced) in several areas around the campus. In 1978, the bell was moved to its current home, beneath an open arch, for all to enjoy.
The Cougars are now independent and Utah has moved into the Pac-12, but the schools will play at least two more games in their "Holy War," which dates to 1896. Utah leads the series 54-34-4. The game is called such because of the schools' close proximity and the fact BYU is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Utah is a public university run by the state and was founded by Brigham Young. The rivalry extends to all sports.
Source: Brigham Young University
- SundayRain: 6%
- 40º - 59ºF
- MondayRain: 25%
- 41º - 60ºF
- TuesdayRain: 25%
- 39º - 63ºF
- WednesdayRain: 2%
- 41º - 69ºF
- ThursdayRain: 1%
- 46º - 75ºF