On Dec. 5, 2010, the press box side, including the signature upper deck, of TCU's longtime home at Amon G. Carter Stadium was imploded as part of a $105 million renovation. Texas Christian will continue to play its home games at Amon G. Carter Stadium on campus in 2011 while the renovation is ongoing. The finished product will make its debut for the 2012 season, when TCU begins play in the Big East Conference.
The Horned Frogs have been playing at Amon G. Carter Stadium, named for the newspaper publisher and civic booster, since 1930. TCU legends Slingin' Sammy Baugh and 1938 Heisman Trophy winner Davey O'Brien called the stadium their home in the 1930s, a decade that also saw the Horned Frogs win a pair of national championships (1935 and 1938). Jim Swink, the 1955 Heisman Trophy runner-up, Bob Lilly and LaDainian Tomlinson are a few of the other TCU greats to play their home games at the stadium.
The Horned Frogs won their final 20 games at the facility before the renovation began, an active streak that ranks as the third-longest in the nation.
Texas Christian's Horned Frog mascot first appeared in 1897 on the cover of the original AddRan yearbook. The harmless lizards were rampant on campus, which was then located in Waco. The mascot appeared on several items and was included in costume, on paper and in class rings. In 1979, the mascot, Addy the All-American Frog, was renamed Super Frog. TCU now has bumper stickers that offer a role reversal of the classic fairy tale: "My princess turned into a frog." The Horned Frogs hand sign is made by making a peace sign then folding those two fingers.
The Horned Frogs play Southern Methodist, located 40 miles away in Dallas, in the Battle for the Iron Skillet, the exact origin of which is unknown but is believed to have started in the 1950s.
Frog Alley -- TCU's official pregame party with bands, games and other entertainment -- starts two hours before kickoff and takes place on the east side of the stadium.