Year Opened: 1920 | Field Surface: Artificial Turf
Husky Stadium opened in 1920 as a project funded by the students of the University of Washington. With an original capacity of 30,000, the venue hosted its first game Nov. 27, 1920, vs. Dartmouth. Three more expansions, including the addition of roof-covered stands, brought the capacity to more than 59,000 in 1968. The stadium was expanded again in 1987 to seat 72,500 and included the Don James Center, a glass-enclosed area with views of the entire field.
Husky Stadium will undergo a complete renovation starting in November 2011; it will include a new upper deck on the west side, football offices and permanent seats in the east end zone. The Huskies will play their home games at CenturyLink Field, home of the NFL's Seahawks, until returning to Husky Stadium for the 2013 season.
Husky Stadium hosted the 1990 Goodwill Games and was home to the Seahawks for two seasons when a new Seahawks stadium was built.
Husky Stadium ranks among the most scenic stadiums in the country, with views of Mount Rainier, the Olympic Mountain range and Union Bay on Lake Washington and is one of a few stadiums accessible by boat. The UW crew takes fans to and from their boats, with docks adjoining the stadium grounds.
When and where "The Wave" began remains a claim disputed by many and dates as far back as the 1950s. But we do know it became a popular routine at the University of Washington after Halloween 1981, when the Huskies hosted Stanford and All-American quarterback John Elway. A few people have claimed credit for the crowd routine, saying it originally started going from the bottom of the stands to the top, then top to bottom, before some students tried it sideways and it caught on. The Wave quickly spread to Seahawks games and became popular at many sporting events around Seattle shortly thereafter, and, before long, it turned into a worldwide phenomenon.
Washington was not always known as the Huskies; its first known nickname, the Sun Dodgers, was thought to denote negative connotations. Sun Dodger was the name of a student humor magazine and Sunny was its main character. So popular was Sunny that students started calling the team the Sun Dodgers (from 1919 to 1921) and a 3½-foot tall wooden sculpture "Sunny Boy" was fashioned and became the school mascot. The humor magazine was banned from campus by the administration, which sought a new nickname and mascot. During the winter break in 1921, the school adopted Vikings. But when students returned in January 1922, they opposed the name. A student committee selected Huskies later that year.
The Huskies traditionally have had a live Alaskan malamute as their mascot. Washington also has the costumed Harry the Husky. Today the wooden sculpture of Sunny Boy is in the Husky Fever Hall of Fame at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion, the school's basketball arena.
Source: University of Washington
- SundayRain: 15%
- 57º - 73ºF
- MondayRain: 40%
- 54º - 66ºF
- TuesdayRain: 7%
- 54º - 69ºF
- WednesdayRain: 15%
- 54º - 66ºF
- ThursdayRain: 40%
- 56º - 64ºF