Year Opened: 1972
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
Martin Stadium opened in September 1972, more than two years after old Rogers Field, with its wooden bleachers, was damaged by a fire thought to be arson (although nobody was ever charged). The stadium got a generous gift from Dan Martin, who contributed to the fund on behalf of his father, former Washington Gov. Clarence D. Martin.
In 1979, the track around the field was removed and the field was lowered 16 feet, the first such expansion of any college stadium in the country. This enabled 12,000 seats to be added around the stadium. Martin Stadium is undergoing a renovation, adding luxury seating and a 100,000-square-foot building for football headquarters.
Washington State started using Cougars as its nickname in 1919. The first live Cougar cub appeared as a mascot in 1927, having been presented by Gov. Roland Hartley to WSU students. Butch T. Cougar was named after Herbert "Butch" Meeker, a WSU football star. Washington State had live cougars as mascots until 1978, when Butch VI died. Today, the university uses the costumed Butch T. Cougar for sporting events and as a school ambassador.
The Victory Bell on the west side of the Alumni Centre is rung after each Cougars victory in the keys of G and C, supposedly for "Go Cougs."
The Cougar Prowl is the name given to the traditional pregame walk of the players to the stadium from the Cougar Pride statue, located next to the WSU athletic ticket office.