One cannot begin to talk about a stadium in Tallahassee without bringing former head coach Bobby Bowden to the table. His success as a head coach brought Florida State into the national discussion year after year during his more than three decades at the helm and created an environment that made Doak Campbell Stadium one of the most feared places to play in the country.
Built in 1950 with a maximum capacity of 15,000, Doak Campbell Stadium was named in honor of a former FSU president. The first game took place Oct. 7, 1950, with an absolute drubbing of Randolph-Macon College, 40-7.
Bowden's teams lost only 30 home games in his 32 years, against 164 victories. A special day in Bowden's coaching tenure came on Nov. 20, 2004, when the stadium's gridiron was named for the Seminoles' skipper.
The stadium seats more than 82,000. The most to attend a tilt here was in 2005, when 84,347 fans witnessed a 10-7 FSU victory over Miami.
Florida State won its first football championships in 1904 and 1905 while wearing purple and gold uniforms.
Originally an all-male college, Florida State College changed its name and attendance policy in 1905, when it became an all-women's college called Florida State College for Women. The college would remain all-female until 1947, when it welcomed co-ed enrollment and the football team opened the season with a 14-6 loss to Stetson University at Centennial Field -- its home of three seasons.