On the southeast corner of campus, on a 30-acre tract of athletic facilities, sits Jack Trice Stadium. Completed in less than two years, the stadium originally named Cyclone Stadium was opened Sept. 20, 1975, rewarding fans with a victory over Air Force.
Cyclone Stadium was built to hold 42,500 permanent seats with standing room available for devout fans. In 1990 a then-record crowd of 54,475 watched the Cyclones take on Nebraska.
Renovations would later be made to update the stadium with modern facilities and increase seating capacity to 55,000. In 2007, a new record crowd of 56,795 witnessed the Cyclones take on Northern Iowa.
In 1997, driven in large part by the students, alumni and faculty, the stadium's name was was changed to honor former Iowa State football player Jack Trice.
The name change was a long time coming. In fact, naming the stadium after Jack Trice was the unanimous vote and recommendation of the 1974 student body government. Although they were not granted the satisfaction, the students worked to raise money a few years later so that a statue of the former star athlete would be erected outside of the stadium.
Trice wasn't a huge school donor in terms of monetary value. He wasn't on the board of trustees. And he didn't own a huge corporation that gave money to the university. Trice was the school's first black football player, who died due to injuries sustained in a game on Oct. 6, 1923. His football career lasted only two games and is the only Cyclones player to die from an injury occurring during athletic competition.
Trice initially made an impact while competing in track. He won the Missouri Valley Conference's meet in the shot put and discus as a freshman.
Each year Iowa State and Missouri play for what is known as the Telephone Trophy. The origin of that trophy finds roots in a 1959 game between the Cyclones and Tigers. Prior to kickoff the sideline phones were tested, and it was discovered that the teams could hear one another. The problem was fixed by the time kickoff came around, still a hint of paranoia permeated the game. The Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. had a trophy created after the game that was to be presented to the winner of the rivalry. It has been coveted every year since.