Year Opened: 1960
| Field Surface: Artificial Turf
Memorial Stadium in its current state was built in 1960. The venue was dedicated with a game against Michigan State on Oct. 22 of that year; the Hoosiers hoopla was tarnished only by the final score, with the Spartans coming out on top 35-0.
With a capacity of nearly 53,000, Memorial Stadium stands to honor the sons and daughters of Indiana University who have served in the wars of the republic. Here the mast of the USS Indiana -- a gift from the U.S. Navy -- serves as a reminder of their gallant service in the armed forces.
Jordan Field was the original gridiron and hosted Indiana football games from 1887 to 1924, when the original Memorial Stadium was built to seat 20,000 people. The old Memorial Stadium was the team's home through the 1959 season; it was demolished in 1982 after being featured in the movie "Breaking Away."
In 2003, Memorial Stadium welcomed a fresh look with a summer face lift and renovations. The press box was completed and club and suite seats were added, while the locker room received some much-needed retooling. The project was funded largely by former Hoosiers and NFL quarterback Trent Green.
Late Indiana coach Terry Hoeppner, who died of brain cancer in 2007, used to call Memorial Stadium "The Rock" because of its limestone construction. A three-ton boulder on a granite slab sits in the north end zone to serve as a memory to Hoeppner and to remind the Hoosiers to "defend the rock."