Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• If you were wondering why the Minnesota Vikings wanted Brett Favre as the team's QB, just look at the last drive against the Niners. Very few people could march a team down the field for a winning score the way Favre did. He never lost his composure and he got the ball to the right people.
• Do you think Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn will be feeling some heat. His team lost to the Detroit Lions. Jim Schwartz has done a good job and his team earned the W! Matthew Stafford got to the winner's circle, and teams like the Titans and Dolphins are sitting 0-3 after making the playoffs last season. That's why the NFL is so great … it is unpredictable, baby! How many people would have thought the Steelers would be sitting 1-2 now.
• Peyton Manning remained on a roll as the Colts won at Arizona. That was special considering Indianapolis had a short work week after a road win in Miami Monday night. The Dolphins forced the Colts defense to stay on the field for ¾ of that contest.
• What a performance by redshirt freshman B. J. Daniels of South Florida! His first career start came at Florida State and it was a big-time win over the Seminoles. Daniels is from Tallahassee, so this game had special meaning. He was in the lineup following the season-ending injury to Matt Grothe, and Daniels took advantage of his starting assignment. He threw for 215 yards, ran for another 126 and made several big plays.
• At one point, experts looking at the University of Miami's schedule thought a 0-4 start was a possibility. Then the Hurricanes beat Florida State and Georgia Tech and there was national championship talk. After Miami lost at Virginia Tech, knowing Oklahoma is up next, it looks like the 'Canes could be 2-2 against incredible competition. That would not be that bad given the schedule.
• The SEC is a real monster conference. It is so tough to win on the road in that league – go ask Mississippi! This week, LSU and Georgia battle and that should be another solid match-up. Undefeated Auburn visits Tennessee this Saturday. Florida goes to Baton Rouge while Alabama is at Mississippi on October 10th. The hits just keep on coming!
• Congratulations to Phil Mickelson on winning The Tour Championship event down in Georgia. Tiger Woods won the FedEx Cup title despite falling short of Mickelson in the season-ending event. It was not easy to understand all of the explanations of the FedEx Cup going into the weekend. It turned out to be simple – Tiger won!
• I was sorry to see Lisa Leslie's WNBA career end when her Los Angeles team lost to Diana Taurasi and Phoenix in the deciding game of their Western Conference final series. Leslie has been a class act over the years, an inspiration to women everywhere. She has won multiple Olympic gold medals, and she has been a leader in women's basketball. I will miss watching her on the court … thanks for the memories, Lisa.
• The IRL and Andretti racing team received some great news. Danica Patrick decided to stay with her team instead of jumping to NASCAR. Patrick is one of the most well-known drivers in the world, and her presence helps that racing circuit.