Each week, I write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• It's nice to see a new series starting between Gonzaga and UCLA. It will be fun to watch Mark Few and Steve Alford do battle on the sidelines. UCLA will host the Zags at Pauley Pavilion on Dec. 13. Gonzaga will in turn host the Bruins in December the following season in Spokane, Wash.
• I want to send my wishes for a speedy recovery to Charlotte coach Alan Major. He recently took a leave of absence from the program due to a medical issue.
• Georgia Tech suffered a loss when sophomore forward Robert Carter Jr. opted to transfer. Carter Jr. missed Tech's first 10 ACC games last season due to a torn meniscus in his left knee. He finished the 2013-14 season averaging 11.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.
• Illinois suspended 6-foot-8 forward Darius Paul for the entire 2014-15 season. Coach John Groce cited multiple transgressions as the reason for the suspension. Paul sat out last season after transferring from Western Michigan.
• LSU's Anthony Hickey is among three players who will not return to the school this season. Hickey started 85 games over the past three seasons and averaged 9.4 PPG.
• Billy Donovan got some good news when former South Florida center John Egbunu transferred to Florida. Egbunu, who averaged 7.4 PPG and 6.2 RPG last season, will sit out the 2014-15 season.
• The ACC made a good decision, trying a 30-second shot clock during exhibition games. This rule change should be used on a national basis.