Each week, I write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Everyone involved in the NCAA makes cash off college athletes, including people like me. Athletes should have that right, too!
• Iowa State fans should be happy that the Mayor, Fred Hoiberg, decided to stay home. There was some interest in him this summer from several NBA teams.
• I noticed that Dayton and Georgia Tech will meet right before Christmas (Dec. 23). Will the Yellow Jackets give coach Brian Gregory an early Christmas present with a win over his former school?
• Kentucky was named winners of the Team Academic Excellence Award, presented by the National Association of Basketball Coaches. I wonder what the anti-John Calipari critics think of that?
• Congratulations to Illinois coach John Groce, who had his contract extended through the 2018-19 season. His Illini went 20-15 last season.
• Will more young stars go the route of Emmanuel Mudiay? The highly touted prep prospect, who was expected to attend SMU this fall, has landed with a team in China instead.