Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• I cannot wait to call the Kansas-Baylor game on Monday night in Phog Allen Fieldhouse. My friends, both teams are unbeaten in the Big 12 and something has to give. Can the Bears keep their perfect season alive? Wow, Thomas Robinson vs. Perry Jones III. It should be awesome, baby with a capital A! Remember, the road to the Big 12 title goes through Lawrence.
• Virginia coach Tony Bennett has a fabulous future as he can really teach and coach. He was also a great shooter, still a record-holder with a 49.7 percentage while at Green Bay. Bennett is a flat-out winner. The Cavaliers also have a true star in Mike Scott as I was impressed with him against Duke.
• How about a salute to Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins? His Cardinal is 5-1 in the Pac-12, tied with California for first in the conference. Stanford is an impressive 15-3 overall.
• St. John's got good news when former Texas A&M point guard Jamal Branch decided to transfer to the Big East school. Branch was a top 100 recruit when he went to College Station out of Grace Prep in Arlington, Texas. He saw limited action in 11 games at Texas A&M this season.
• Remember the name Steve Masiello. Besides being a paisan, he is doing a solid job at Mahnattan. His team recently scored an upset at Iona. Masiello learned a lot from his former head coach, Rick Pitino.
• Tennessee got a boost with the addition of forward Jarnell Stokes. He had nine points in 17 mibutes in a loss to Kentucky. Stokes will help Cuonzo Martin's team.
• One of the surprising teams in college basketball has been Georgia State. Ron Hunter is in his first season as head coach there and his team is tied for first in the Colonial Athletic Association. The team had a school-record 11-game win streak earlier in the season and while it helps to have senior leadership, Hunter has done a stellar job. Coaching can make a difference.