The best part of interleague play are the natural rivalries. As a lifetime New York Met fan, I enjoy the New York rivalry against the Yankees. I would enjoy it more if the Mets were more successful, but you can't have everything, I guess.
Here are six quotes about the Yankees and Mets, including some excerpted from my book, "Yankee Shorts, 501 of the Funniest One Liners":
1. "Putting the Yankee uniform on every day."
-- Joe DiMaggio, asked his greatest thrill in baseball
2. "Our first game was April 10, 1962. And it was our best game. It was rained out."
-- Casey Stengel, manager of the 'Amazin' Mets
3. "Mickey Mantle can hit just as good right handed as he can left handed. He's just naturally amphibious."
-- Yogi Berra, Yankees legendary catcher
4. "They have the world's greatest player right now, playing shortstop out there."
-- Alex Rodriguez, on Mets' Jose Reyes
5. "The secret of success as a pitcher lies in getting a job with the Yankees."
-- Waite Hoyt, Hall of Fame pitcher
6. "I have no trouble with the 12 inches between my elbow and my palm. It's the seven inches between my ears that's bent."
-- Tug McGraw, legendary Mets reliever
For more sports quotes, check out my site.