Brett Favre once again makes our list
Just because he's not playing in the NFL on Sundays this season, never underestimate the power of Brett Favre. If our reader-generated Top 10 lists mean anything (and, admittedly, that's a debatable topic), Favre is far more popular than all the NASCAR drivers combined.
Either that or our readers know the best way to get mentioned in our lists.
Favre has this amazing streak going of getting mentioned every week in our lists, regardless of the topic. On Monday, we declared that this week's list would be "Top 10 Reasons You're Not In the (NASCAR) Chase." That's the NASCAR "Chase" to win its Sprint Cup Championship. All the "Chase" actually is are the combined results of the last 10 races of the regular season, turning them into a "playoff" among the top 12 drivers.
And in our Monday "set-up" for this list, we whimsically wondered if there was some way Favre would still make this list despite having never been in a NASCAR race.
More than half of our entries mentioned Favre. Actual NASCAR drivers were rarely mentioned at all. In fact, many of our regular players admitted that they didn't know the names of any drivers -- but they sure knew Brett.
It seemed wrong to let Favre dominate a NASCAR list so he's only mentioned a couple of times in our selected top 10. But we're considering making next week's list "Top 10 Sports Without Brett Favre." Meanwhile, here's what you had to say about the NASCAR Chase:
Top 10 Reasons You're Not In the Chase
10. "Because your best driver (Mark Martin) is older than Brett Favre," said Jerrod S. of Sacramento, Calif. (At least Jerrod knew the name of an actual driver.)
9. "Your driver pulls over, gets out of the race car and salutes every time he passes a Confederate flag," said Francis G. of Boston.
8. "Your driver gets lost leaving a pit stop," said Ben M. of Peoria, Ill.
7. "Your driver won the NASCAR award for fewest speeding tickets," said Janice H. of Palo Alto, Calif.
6. "Your main sponsor is the estate of Charles Ponzi," said Fred R. of Atlanta.
5. "Your driver has never seen 'Thunder Road,'" said Bill S. of Little Rock, Ark. (This is 'Old School' NASCAR.)
4. "Your driver has never owned a dog or driven a pickup truck but he's happily married to a brunette," said Aldo B. of Miami.
3. "Your left blinker has been on for the last 300 miles," said Judy K. of Birmingham, Ala.
2. "Brett Favre's tractor just faked high, then went low to blow past your car," said Doug E. of Altamonte Springs, Fla.
1. "Your pit crew is too busy texting in their Fantasy Football picks," said Alice A. of St. Paul, Minn.
Congratulations to Alice for connecting a NASCAR list to our most beloved pastime.
Jerry Greene is a regular contributor to ESPN.com and can be reached at email@example.com