The nickname bracket, Round 3
We won't take up any more of your time explaining this; we all know you have
games to watch work to do.
(Winners in bold)
Baseball RegionThird Round
(1) Stan "The Man" Musial vs. (4) Ryan Braun, "The Hebrew Hammer"
Does anyone ever say "Stan" and leave out "The Man"? No. Sorry, Ryan -- the party is over.
(14) Dennis Martinez, "El Presidente" vs. (2) Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown
Before Dennis Haysbert was The President on "24", Martinez had the title for decades. Not sure what that means, but the dude with three fingers is starting to creep us all out.
Basketball RegionThird Round
(8) Darryl Dawkins, "Chocolate Thunder" vs. (4) Charles Barkley, "The Round Mound of Rebound"
If Sir Charles had named his moves (or said he was from Lovetron) he might have won this.
(6) "Dr. J," Julius Erving vs. (7) Vinnie Johnson, "The Microwave"
Stay away from your microwave, it can kill you ... and that's the doctor's orders.
Football RegionThird Round
(1) "Sweetness," Walter Payton vs. (4) "Broadway" Joe Namath
Actually, when Joe was around the Jets played at Shea Stadium, so shouldn't he be "Flushing" Joe?
(6) Paul "Bear" Bryant vs. (2) Dick "Night Train" Lane
Bryant is often referred to with a "the" in front of his nickname. That definitely adds a little panache. Try it, put "the" in front of anyone you know -- see, you just made them cooler.
Miscellaneous RegionThird Round
(1) Eldrick "Tiger" Woods vs. (5) Dave "Cementhead" Semenko
With Tiger you don't even need the Eldrick part. With Cementhead, you probably will still introduce yourself as Dave.
(3) Eric "Butterbean" Esch vs. (2) Dale "The Intimidator" Earnhardt
When you intimidate people by driving them off the road at 200 mph, that's cooler than looking like King Hippo from Punch Out.