Welcome to the Page 2 Wonderlic exam
and Adam Watson | Special to Page 2
The NFL scouting combine is upon us again, and brings with it more poking, prodding, running and gawking than the Westminster dog show.
But the combine has something Westminster doesn't: the famed Wonderlic aptitude test. Wonderlic questions are so abstract it's difficult to tell what (if anything) they have to do with football. Further, the correlation between test scores and NFL success -- reportedly, Dan Marino scored 16 and Mike Mamula got a 49 -- is scattershot at best.
Still, NFL talent evaluators put stock in the test, so Page 2 previously ran an actual sample of the exam, which was provided to us by Wonderlic, Inc.
This year we're trying something different.
Below, you'll find a sample of what the exam might look like if it were based on the real world and today's NFL -- instead of esoteric decision-making.
You have five minutes to
waste complete the exam, and the answer key is at the bottom. Good luck!
1) All NFL players are good at football
JaMarcus Russell is an NFL player
JaMarcus Russell is good at football
Assume the first two statements are true. The third statement is:
1) true; 2) false; 3) Proof that makers of this test don't ever watch the Raiders
2) Dogfighting is:
1. A bad idea
2. You fail if you are still reading this
3. Seriously, drop your pencil and turn yourself in
4) You are offered a three-year contract for $15 million or a six-year contract for $25 million. Which contract is worth more?
1. The three-year contract
2. The six-year contract
4. I don't know, but I'm going to hold out anyway.
5) Do you know what Deca-Durabolin is? If yes, please explain why.
6) Which of the following is correct?
1. Namdi Asomugha
2. Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Nnammdi Asomuha
4. Nnamdi Asomughha
7) The Lions have announced their intentions to draft you. You should:
1. Claim hardship and try to get your college eligibility back
2. Hope you have a famous dad who can help force a trade to the Giants
3. Spend all pre-draft interviews talking about how much you hate hockey, cars and Eminem
4. All of the above
8) A boy is 12 years old and his brother is twice as old. When the boy is 18, his brother will be ______.
9) It is only OK to "make it rain" if:
1. You're in a pickup basketball game
2. You're at an agricultural dance workshop
3. A club with "bada," "dancer" or an animal in its name
4. None of the above
10) Look at the series below. What number should come next?
37 tackles, 4 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 7 years, $__ million
11) If your signing bonus is $16 million and you pay your agent $6 million, you have:
1. $10 million
2. Depends on the state and its tax code
3. More money then you'll ever need
4. A relative for an agent who has a fool for a client
12) Which of these pictures is least like the others?
1) 2) 3) 4)
13) After a night of partying, your car gets pulled over by the police. What is the highest blood-alcohol level you can have legally?
1) .01 2) .08 3) .10 4) None of the above. I'm taking a cab.
14) In 15 words or less, please explain the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage lending crisis.
15) Suppose Colts quarterback Peyton Manning throws another pivotal interception in the Super Bowl next year. How long until Jim Caldwell is fired?
1) One day; 2) One week; 3) One month; 4) Who is Jim Caldwell?
16) You ran the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds. At this exact speed, how many seconds will pass before Al Davis drafts you too high?
17) You are out in public and people start to heckle you. In response, you should act like:
1. An NFL owner
2. An NFL head coach
3. Courtney Love
4. Why don't you just keep your middle fingers out of it?
18) Which of the following words have the same meaning on the Patriots' injury report?
19) Jay Cutler is wearing a blue jersey. He throws a ball right at you. What two things do you need to know to determine what color jersey you are wearing?
20) Adrian Peterson fumbles once every other game next year. That is:
1) Eight fumbles over the entire season; 2) a good prediction; 3) Both 1 and 2
1) 3; 2) 1; 3) 4; 4) 4; 5) No. Any other explanation and you'll need to pee in this cup; 6) 2 -- But if you got this right, you're disqualified because you must have looked it up; 7) 4 -- Let's put it this way: Have you ever heard anyone say the sentence "Detroit is lovely this time of year"? 8) Unemployed if he's an NFL running back; 9) Anything but C (bonus point if you didn't even understand the question); 10) 100, as long as you play for Daniel Snyder; 11) 4, although 3 gets you partial credit; 12) 2 -- Jason Taylor has always worn the sparkly reality-star pants in his relationships; 13) 4; 14) Didn't Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac play in the XFL?; 15) 4 -- Jim Caldwell is the guy they occasionally show on the Colts sideline in between Peyton Manning commercials; 16) Depends on how many children he stops to scare on the way to the phone; 17) 4; 18) All but inactive, which is code for "healthy, but resting and/or ineffective"; 19) Who are the Bears playing? Are they wearing throwbacks? 20) 3 -- It's as if the football is coated in Brett Favre's tears before it's handed to Peterson.
Scoring: Irrelevant, unless you got Question 2, 5, 9, 13 or 17 wrong. In that event, commissioner Goodell would like a word with you. Right now.