Lionel Messi's Speed and Agility
5 of 7
WORKOUT 2 - MULTIDIRECTIONAL SPEED
PILLAR BRIDGE - LATERAL
- Starting position: Lying on your side with your forearm on the ground under your shoulder, your feet split with the top leg forward.
- With your body in a straight line and your elbow under your shoulder, push your hip off the ground, creating a straight line from ankle to shoulder and keeping your head in line with your spine.
- Hold your position for 30 seconds. Repeat on other side.
- Complete two reps on each side.
- Begin in s standing position.
- Step to the right with the right foot, keeping toes forward and feet flat.
- Squat through your right hip while keeping your left leg straight. Keep right knee on behind toes.
- Bring left foot in to a squat position. Continue for 4 reps.
- Repeat with left leg.
ROTATIONAL LUNGE STRETCH
Trunk, hip flexor, groin, legs, glutes
- Begin in lunge position with left foot forward and right hand on ground for balance.
- While contracting back glute, rotate trunk and left arm to sky as far as possible.
- Hold for two seconds and then rotate trunk and arm as far as possible behind right arm
- Hold for two seconds and repeat.
- Switch position with right foot forward and repeat.
- Complete 4 reps on each side.
PILLAR SKIP - LATERAL
- Begin in a standing position.
- Lift knee and foot with opposite arm.
- Drive foot down to the ground generating a double foot contact as opposite foot and knee lift.
- Alternate and repeat moving laterally.
- Complete 1 rep of 10 yards on each side.
RAPID RESPONSE ONE-FOOT LATERAL BASE
Hips, knees, ankles
- Begin by standing in an athletic base position.
- Jump up and down with the left foot landing in place and the right foot alternating back and forth laterally over a line as fast as possible.
- Switch legs and repeat.
- Complete 2 reps of 5 seconds on each side.