Assault charge against Stackhouse dismissed

Updated: August 7, 2003, 7:23 PM ET

BEAUFORT, N.C. -- A misdemeanor assault charge against Washington Wizards guard Jerry Stackhouse was dropped Thursday after the former All-Star apologized to the alleged victim.

Stackhouse was arrested last month in Atlantic Beach on a charge of assault on a female after a dispute at a rental property with an employee of the property manager, according to an arrest report.

W. David McFadyen Jr., the regional district attorney, said Stackhouse's attorneys provided a written apology that the woman, Patricia Nagy of Newport, accepted.

"She had let me know for some time that she didn't want to go through the court process, ... that what she was really interested in was an apology," McFadyen said.

The maximum sentence under the charge would have been 150 days in jail for habitual offenders.

"As it has been from the beginning in this matter, it was nothing more than a misunderstanding and a miscommunication, and the matter has been resolved," said Wesley Collins, an attorney for Stackhouse in Morehead City.

McFadyen said Stackhouse and his attorneys had been cooperative. He said Stackhouse was also asked as a goodwill gesture to give autographed basketballs to several local community groups and for a law enforcement fund-raising auction.

"My impression from his attorneys was that he accepted the responsibility and wanted to do what he had to do to get this matter resolved," McFadyen said.

Stackhouse, a native of Kinston, was renting a house near the coast July 13 when he and his guests were told they had to leave the property. Stackhouse apparently believed he had rented it for another day, police said.

He was charged with grabbing Nagy "around the neck and taking her to the ground," according to an arrest warrant.

Stackhouse had called the incident "an unfortunate misunderstanding," and told The Washington Post that there was "unintentional contact" when he tried to grab the copy of the lease from Nagy.

McFadyen said he believed Stackhouse's conduct "was not intended to be an intentional assault."

A phone call to Bill Ward, Nagy's attorney in New Bern, was not returned Thursday.

This story is from's automated news wire. Wire index