Real Madrid upset 4-0 by third-division team

Updated: October 27, 2009, 10:36 PM ET
Associated Press

MADRID -- Real Madrid was upset 4-0 by third-division side Alcorcon in a Copa del Rey round of 32 match.

The result reflected the run of play, with the tiny team from a Madrid suburb outplaying the European giant.

Earlier, Atletico Madrid ended its recent run of dire results by beating third-division Marbella 2-0. La Liga contender Sevilla beat third-division Atletico Ciudad 4-2 with two goals from Luis Fabiano, and Recreativo Huelva drew 1-1 with Sporting Gijon.

On Wednesday defending champion Barcelona will play Cultural Leonesa.

The return legs will be played on Nov. 10.

With a string of poor results recently, including a home defeat to AC Milan and a scoreless draw against Sporting Gijon last week, Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini was already under pressure before this game.

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano apologized to fans afterward.

"We have to learn a lesson about humility," he said. "I'm convinced that our group of very good players and professionals will turn this result around." When asked whether the Chilean coach's future at the club was in doubt, Valdano replied: "It's not the moment to answer that question."

Pellegrini rested Kaka and played Jose Maria "Guti" Gutierrez as a creative midfielder in Alcorcon's 3,000-capacity Santo Domingo Stadium.

The home side made its intentions clear after two minutes when a long-range shot by Sergio Mora, who tormented Madrid, was just pushed wide by Jerzy Dudek. Seconds later Ruben Sanz nearly lobbed the goalkeeper. A third attempt, this time by Fernando Bejar, was just wide.

In the 16th Alcorcon's constant pressure paid off when Francisco Borja drifted along the edge of the area with the ball, sending his left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later Karim Benzema grazed the bar for Madrid.

Defensive chaos put the host 2-0 up in the 22nd when Madrid's Alvaro Arbeloa charged toward his own goal to gather the ball and misjudged, toe-punting it into the net.

In the 37th, Raul Gonzalez had his best chance of the night only to blast over from 10 yards.

Three minutes later Alcorcon struck again, the unmarked Ernesto Gomez tapping in from a Mora cross.

Seven minutes into the second half Borja scored his second after Dudek failed to clear a dangerous Alcorcon cross.

With the clock ticking down Madrid cranked up the pressure, but last-ditch defending from Alcorcon kept the visitors off the scoresheet.


LONDON -- Manchester United and Tottenham each won 2-0 to progress to the quarterfinals of England's League Cup and keep alive the chances of a repeat of last season's final.

Danny Wellbeck and Michael Owen scored to give defending champion United victory at Barnsley in a match marred by crowd trouble, while Tottenham beat Premier League rival Everton on goals by Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

American goalkeeper Brad Guzan saved four penalties, including three in the shootout, to give Aston Villa a shootout win at Sunderland, Blackburn beat Peterborough 5-2, and Portsmouth beat Stoke 4-0.

Guzan stood in for fellow American Brad Friedel at Sunderland and saved a second-half penalty from Kenwyne Jones to earn Villa a 0-0 draw in regulation. He then stopped kicks by Andy Reid, Lorik Cana and Jordan Henderson to help Villa advance to the final eight.

United manager Alex Ferguson rested most of his regular starters and fielded a team featuring three right backs but his side went ahead in the sixth minute when Wellbeck connected with a simple header from Anderson's corner.

Owen, starting just his fifth game since joining United, showed a glimpse of the form that made him the 2001 European player of the year in the 59th when he won the ball 25 yards out, beat three defenders and shot past the goalkeeper.

Gary Neville was sent off moments later for a foul on Adam Hammill to give Barnsley hope against a team that had dominated the opening exchanges to such an extent that the home team's first corner in the 22nd was greeted with huge cheers.

But United may be in trouble with football authorities after some of its fans apparently smashed up areas of Barnsley's Oakwell Stadium while celebrating the win.

Barnsley has complained to police over damage to the concourse of the north stand after fans forced their way behind the counter of a food stall.

Tottenham, which won the League Cup in 2008 and lost last season's final in a shootout, fielded a changed team because of injuries to Jonathan Woodgate, Aaron Lennon and Peter Crouch but went ahead in the 31st.

Wilson Palacios intercepted on the edge of his own area to start the length-of-the-field move that led to the goal. Palacios passed to Keane and his quick ball to the right found David Bentley, who raced down the wing to curl in a cross that went over Keane's head, under Roman Pavlyuchenko's foot and into the net off a fierce half volley by Huddlestone.

"People who came in all did a good job for us," Spurs manager Harry Redknapp said. "Anyone watching that game for us tonight would think, 'He'll do for me, David Bentley."

Redknapp said Bentley would likely play against former club Arsenal on Saturday, with Lennon likely to sit out because of injury.

The remaining fourth-round games are scheduled for Wednesday, when Arsenal hosts Liverpool, Chelsea hosts Bolton and Manchester City hosts League Championship side Scunthorpe.


FRANKFURT -- Second-division Greuther Fuerth upset Stuttgart 1-0 to reach the quarterfinals of the German Cup and Borussia Dortmund lost 3-2 at third-division Osnabrueck.

Stuttgart's fifth straight loss was sure to increase the pressure on coach Markus Babbel, whose team has dropped to 13th in the Bundesliga.

Bernd Nehrig, a former Stuttgart player, scored the winner for Greuther Fuerth.

In other games, Cologne won 3-0 at Eintracht Trier, a fourth-division team, and Augsburg thrashed Duisburg 5-0 in match between two second-division sides.

Osnabrueck, which had eliminated Hamburger SV in the previous round, took a two-goal lead against Dortmund and cruised into the last eight.

Angelo Barletta scored twice within five minutes in the first half before Nuri Sahin pulled one back for Dortmund. Benjamin Siegert secured the victory, while Lucas Barrios scored another for Dortmund deep into injury time.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

This story is from's automated news wire. Wire index