Reds pitcher Brian Shackelford arrested

Updated: July 6, 2006, 11:32 PM ET
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Cincinnati Reds pitcher Brian Shackelford was arrested early Thursday on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault.

The 29-year-old, who played college baseball at Oklahoma, was arrested shortly after midnight at Miller Park, where the Reds played the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday night, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said. She declined to provide details on the arrest other than to say it involved a woman Monday.

"It's an ongoing criminal investigation," she said.

Shackelford was ordered to appear at the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office on Aug. 21, Assistant District Attorney Ken Berg said. Prosecutors have not issued any charges, though the investigation will continue, he said. He was released from jail Thursday afternoon.

The Reds optioned the pitcher to the minors and said they will not discuss the case because of pending legal proceedings.

"We recognize the seriousness of the matter and do not condone behavior of the type alleged," the team said. The Reds left Milwaukee after the game and were in Atlanta on Thursday night.

Third-degree sexual assault is a felony in Wisconsin, carrying a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, said Assistant Attorney General Roy Korte.

The Reds sent Shackelford to Triple-A Louisville and brought up another left-handed pitcher, Mike Gosling. Team spokesman Rob Butcher declined to say if the move was related to the Milwaukee case.

Shackelford, a left-handed reliever, pitched to one batter in the bottom of the 12th inning Wednesday, striking out Prince Fielder. The Brewers wound up winning 6-5 in 13 innings.

In the middle of the 13th, Reds equipment manager Rick Stowe informed Reds manager Jerry Narron about Shackelford's situation. Narron went over to Shackelford, put his hand on the pitcher's shoulder and told him to wait on the bench after the game.

"I didn't tell him what was going on," Narron said before Thursday night's game at Atlanta.

"I honestly do not know what's happened since he left the ballpark," he said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

This story is from's automated news wire. Wire index