ESPN.com - ESPNINC/PRODUCTS - Jeff Gordon: One in a million

 Wednesday, December 20
'97 championship year in review
 
 BURBANK, Calif., February 24, 1998 -- "Jeff Gordon wins!" It was a refrain heard 10 exciting times in the dramatic 1997 NASCAR season that culminated in two of motorsports' greatest prizes for Jeff Gordon: The Winston Million and the NASCAR Championship. NASCAR fans can now relive every heart-pumping, poignant moment in ESPN Video's One in a Million: Jeff Gordon's 1997 Championship Season debuting on home video March 3, 1998.

The thrilling recap of Gordon's extraordinary season is part of the initial motorsports product line from ESPN Video, which carries the exclusive rights to distribute officially-licensed NASCAR (National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing) and CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams) videos.

Also available from ESPN Video are the following titles in the ESPN Nascar Driver series: NASCAR 1997 Year in Review, Darrell Waltrip - Quicksilver; Terry Labonte - Turning Iron Into Gold and Rusty Wallace - In The Driver's Seat. All of these titles, including One in a Million: Jeff Gordon's 1997 Championship Season, are priced at a collectable $14.99 (S.R.P.), and are available at retail outlets everywhere as well as through (1-800) 662-ESPN.

"This is the kind of season you dream about."-- Jeff Gordon. One in a Million: Jeff Gordon's 1997 Championship Season features exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with Gordon, his family and friends. Reflecting on what the 26-year-old, two-time NASCAR Champion calls his "incredible season," Gordon takes the viewer back through the highlights and challenges he faced before finally capturing the driver's points championship in the closest three-way battle in modern NASCAR history.

Laden with emotion, the video opens as Jeff and his "Rainbow Warrior" teammates learn that their owner, Rick Hendrick, has been diagnosed with leukemia. "We're going to do it for Rick," they vow, and before the day is out, they have begun to fulfill the promise, with Gordon moving up from 31st place to become the youngest driver ever to win the Daytona 500.

The exciting One in a Million: Jeff Gordon's 1997 Championship Season video chronicles such highlights as:
  • Coming-from-behind victory at Rockingham over Dale Jarrett after Jarrett had led for 300 laps.

  • Passing Rusty Wallace on the final lap at Bristol after a 50-lap game of "cat and mouse."

  • Taking a 360-degree spin at Martinsville before straightening out and going on to win.

  • Starting at the back of the pack in the night race at Charlotte and working his way to the victory lane.

  • Taking advantage of a rain delay in the Coca Cola 600 to capture his second straight win.

  • Overcoming an unscheduled pit stop to recover the lead, become the first to win back-to-back Pocono 500s and end up in a dead-heat for the points championship.

  • Claiming his first road course victory at Watkins Glen.

  • Inaugurating the California Speedway with a daring decision to forgo a fueling pit stop, literally coasting into the victory circle on fumes.

  • Dueling Bill Elliott (the only other driver to win the Winston Million), Jeff Burton, and Jarrett for the $1 million prize at Darlington, holding off Burton for a thrilling split-second victory.

  • Sweating out misfortune and a five-race slump to fight from 37th to l6th place on a tough day to claim the NASCAR Championship at the final race of the season in Atlanta, holding off the very-determined Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin.
The cost of the tape is $14.99 plus shipping and handling. To order it, call 1-800-717-ESPN.

ESPN Video is distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment, the recognized industry leader for 10 consecutive years.

ESPN, Inc. the Worldwide Leader in Sports, is 80 percent owned by ABC Inc, which is an indirect subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. The Hearst Corporation holds the remaining 20 percent interest in ESPN.