Makur Maker on Why He Chose Howard University
Five-star basketball recruit Makur Maker shocked the sports world with his decision to commit to Howard University in Washington, DC. That makes him the highest profile prospect in recent memory to choose an HBCU. In his first interview since the announcement, Makur joins the show today to explain his historic decision and discuss its significance with Pablo Torre. Then, Howard coach Kenny Blakeney talks about how he's built the program at Howard, along with the landscape for athletics across HBCU programs.
Katie, Ashley and Jay get started with a question about when it's okay to turn off a sporting event (00:39), make an announcement (20:03), and then dive into some news before handing the reins to Ashley for a never-before-played game that she can't really describe. The KAJ covers Mahomes big money (30:19), Name Changes (50:06), College Football's Slippery Slope (52:31), and 75 hot dogs (1:22:00) before Ashley's Game (1:41:00) and a voicemail about superpowers (1:46:45).
Most Recent Podcasts
Man United In Fine Form
The FC crew react to Bruno Fernandes and Manchester United's win vs Aston Villa, reflect on what is wrong with Tottenham as they fail to register a shot on goal, and reveal potential Champions League draws that would bring the excitement.
Hour 3: Conference Games
Stan Verrett & Neil Everett discuss the games we'll miss due to the Big Ten (and maybe others) only playing conference games and continue to weigh in on Jim Harbaugh & Joel Embiid. ESPN MLB Writer Jesse Rogers checks in with the latest on baseball's protocol.
Conservatives Didnt Get The SCOTUS They Wanted This Term
FiveThirtyEight legal reporter Amelia Thomson-DeVeaux joins Galen Druke to look back at a U.S. Supreme Court term full of consequential cases. They also unpack one the final rulings of the term, which permits prosecutors to subpoena the president's financial records.
Howard Bryant on Uncertainty, Disorder & 'Why Now?' remains an Important Question
Bomani is Joined by Howard Bryant to discuss the effect that uncertainty and disorder have had on the country and corporations (2:01). Who is and is not assuming the risk in the sports leagues attempting to return to action as it relates to the future ramifications come with it? Plus, Howard dishes on his story about Bruce Maxwell, the former As catcher who was pushed out of MLB for kneeling during the national anthem back in 2017 (31:28) and 5-star hoops prospect Makur Maker choosing Howard over UCLA (48:30). The Right Time Recommends... Howard's story on Bruce Maxwell: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=29414410&_slug_=the-exile-oakland-bruce-maxwell-birth-mlb-black-player-movement "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins
- Zach talks to Chris Bosh about his playoff runs in Miami, his early days in Toronto, his new newsletter "The Last Chip," guarding Tim Duncan, much more.
- Daniel Cormier joins Ariel to recap a crazy weekend that ended with Jorge Masvidal agreeing to terms to fight Kamaru Usman for the welterweight title on Fight Island. The guys share their insights about what really happened before debating which fighter faces more pressure Saturday night. Plus, they discuss whats next for Gilbert Burns (45:15), Max Holloways unorthodox training camp (56:30) and the slew of exciting fights slated for UFC 251. To sign up for Ariel's LIVE podcast event, click here.
- Bomani addresses why the money was right for Washingtons football team and Clevelands baseball team to consider a name change (1:00), why he really hopes Cam Newton plays well with the Patriots (28:29) and why DeSean Jackson made a colossal error despite thinking he was putting us up on game (41:10). Plus, your voicemails from when you accidentally got caught up in a rough neighborhood you didnt expect (51:57).
- Tim Kurkjian joins Buster to discuss how refreshing it is to see Terry Francona and Francisco Lindor pulling pranks, the challenge of keeping players focused and the need to hear from Rob Manfred as issues with the restart arise (4:20). Later, ESPNs senior manager of MLB programming Rick Mace talks about what its been like scheduling games for TV (16:19). Plus, Hembo on which teams have scheduling advantages and why hed take Juan Soto on a 10-year contract (26:00).
- After entering the NBA bubble, Malika Andrews joins Brian Windhorst and Royce Young to detail her experience thus far. Plus, the crew discusses how teams' playoff standing could impact some player decisions regarding opting in or out of playing at Disney World (41:00).
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
Ariel Helwani's MMA Show
Around the Rim
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich
Down & Distance
ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy
Le Batard & Friends - Mystery Crate
Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions
Le Batard & Friends - STUpodity
Marty Smith's America The Podcast
Matty & The Caddie
Sorry in Advance...The Golic Family Podcast
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
The Adam Schefter Podcast
The Bill Barnwell Show
The College Football Podcast With Herbie & Pollack
The Lowe Post
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.