Allegations of Abuse at NBA China Academies
A recent ESPN investigation uncovered allegations of abuse, as well as a lack of schooling for athletes at three NBA China basketball academies. The report comes at a time when scrutiny on the NBA's relationship with China has never been greater. In October Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey tweeted his support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong, prompting a severe reaction from China, which included pulling NBA broadcasts from the airwaves despite the league's widespread popularity in the country. Investigations into human rights abuses in the Xinjiang province, where one of the basketball academies was located, have also prompted many to criticize the NBA's ties to China. ESPN investigative reporter Steve Fainaru brings us his latest reporting on what happened inside the NBA China academies, and how the league is addressing these concerns.
Jay's Last Pod
The KAJ sends Jay off in style with an All Voicemail Pod, answering your hard-hitting questions, like: Who would win in the Hunger Games? (22:46) If you could dunk on anyone, who would it be? (38:56) And which 90s sports movie characters would crush in The Challenge? (49:19) We get one last French and Erotic News of the Week, (17:11) before the crew reflects on Jay's podcast experience.
Most Recent Podcasts
Hour 2: Tom Brady's New Playbook
Domonique Foxworth, Damien Woody, and Mike Tannenbaum discuss Tom Brady learning a new playbook. Jeff Darlington reports on NFL players facing backlash for opting out of the 2020 season. Michael Collins reports the latest on the PGA Championships. Plus, Pat McAfee responds to a WWE challenge!
Red Hot Blazers
Damian Lillard and the Blazers have been streaking their way into the 8th spot in the west following Dame's 45 point performance last night. Find out if they can challenge the Lakers in a first round playoff match-up. Plus, Ohio State vs, Michigan football will be extra spicy this year because of a phone call?
Hour 1: Syracuse Takeover Part2
We continue with a Syracuse takeover and visit with legendary sportscaster Mike Tirico who talks about his time as a student at Syracuse, plus what it means having Notre Dame in the ACC this coming season. And we also speak with 5 time national champion John Desko who had the Orange Lacrosse team off to a 5-0 start before getting the season shutdown due to Covid-19.
Pete Alonso: Poking the Polar Bear
New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso set the record for rookie home runs in 2019, and announced himself as New York's other young superstar alongside the Yankees' Aaron Judge. But before the "Polar Bear" took MLB by storm, as a child growing up in Tampa, he was the target of bullying. Baseball became Alonso's escape, but even as his career took him to the University of Florida, bullying followed him. ESPN baseball insider Buster Olney spent time with Alonso ahead of his E:60 profile, which airs this Sunday at 5pm ET on ESPN, and joins the show to discuss the struggles Alonso battled on his journey to MLB.
Gareth Bails on Madrid
The FC crew discuss Zinedine Zidane leaving Gareth Bale off of Real Madrid's UCL roster. Plus, the guys break down the Premier League switching to FIFA's VAR protocol, Alexis Sanchez's permanent move to Inter Milan and where Mario Balotelli should land next.
- Zach talks to Kevin Arnovitz about the race for the 8th seed in the West, the Suns' early bubble success, the enigma that is the Sixers, the Raptors reminding everyone how good they are, and coaches fashion.
- Golden State's Bob Myers joins The Woj Pod to discuss the restart of the NBA season, reshaping the Warriors to chase more championships, Kevin Durant and the toll the Warriors finals run took on him.
- Zion's minutes restriction and lackluster play have Brian Windhorst, Kirk Goldsberry and Bobby Marks wondering how the Pelicans should manage the young phenom moving forward. The guys also discuss the tight race for the 8th seed in the West (36:30), Philly's struggles against Indiana (23:53) and their initial impressions of the restart.
- Tim Kurkjian joins Buster to discuss crushing injuries to Mike Soroka and Shohei Ohtani, San Diego's impressive start, Boston's "indescribably bad" pitching and Rob Manfred's handling of recent events (7:44). Plus, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on the Cardinals' COVID-19 outbreak (25:04) and Derek Jeter explains how the virus infiltrated Miami's clubhouse (39:05).
- Bomani Jones dives deeper into his story about the Pac-12 players joining together under the banner #WeAreUnited in looking for safety from COVID-19, including the possibility of a boycott (1:05). He reacts to games officially picking up again for the NBA, shares why the entrance of families into the bubble could present some unforeseen yet hilarious issues (26:50) and why he doesnt have a problem with players choosing to stand for the anthem (35:03). Plus, an IYHH including delays for the Postal Service (47:09) and a #StillInTheLeague NBA re-start edition (58:42). IYHH Stories @JennyJarvie takes you inside Magic City, and shares how a strip club operates during a pandemic: https://lat.ms/2Porqjd @MusicMesfin on the release of Beyonces Black Is King: https://bit.ly/2XrONgh @MatthewDalyWDC on the House panel calling on the new Postal Service chief to explain mail delays: https://bit.ly/3kcrhha
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
Ariel Helwani's MMA Show
Around the Rim
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich
Down & Distance
ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy
Le Batard & Friends - Mystery Crate
Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions
Le Batard & Friends - STUpodity
Marty Smith's America The Podcast
Matty & The Caddie
Sorry in Advance...The Golic Family Podcast
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
The Adam Schefter Podcast
The Bill Barnwell Show
The College Football Podcast With Herbie & Pollack
The Lowe Post
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.