Trevor Lawrence, COVID-19, and College Football
On Thursday, Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence announced he had tested positive for COVID-19, shocking the college football world. David Hale explains what the diagnosis means for Lawrence and the rest of the sport. Then, after the Big Ten decided to reverse its initial decision to not play this fall, their season is underway...and the conference is now dealing with an outbreak of COVID-19 on the Wisconsin Badgers, leading them to cancel their game this weekend with Nebraska. In another Big Ten showdown, Ohio State plays Penn State this Saturday, featuring possible Heisman challenger QB Justin Fields. Kirk Herbstreit joins the show to preview that matchup, and to assess the college football landscape so far. Plus, a preview of our first-ever bonus episode. Former 76ers basketball executive Sam Hinkie gives a rare interview, as his friend and colleague Daryl Morey takes his old job.
Noteworthy NFL Week 8 Spreads + MVP Odds
Doug Kezirian breaks down the NFL card with oddsmaker John Murray, highlighting the noteworthy spreads of the undefeated Steelers as underdogs and the Chiefs as 19.5-point favorites over the Jets. Plus, they discuss why Tom Brady is a good value bet for MVP at 12-1 odds.
Most Recent Podcasts
Barcelona's Wild Week
The FC crew react to Wolves' Premier League win and wonder if they're legitimate title contenders this year. Plus, Sid Lowe recaps the highs and lows of Barcelona's week that saw the President resign and a UCL victory. Also, the boys provide some colorful Birthday messages to Diego Maradona as he turns 60.
Week 8 Preview
On this edition of NFL live, its preview into week 8! Game picks and more from all the best matchups of the weekend. Are the Bills poised to finally knock the Patriots off in the AFC East? Is it a must win game this weekend for the 49ers? And an injury report to help your fantasy teams out, who's in and who's out this weekend! Plus Marcus reveals his top 5 scariest pass rushers!
Hour 2: This is a Must Win Game for Cam?
Max likes Cam stepping out to say this is a must win for the Pats Max loves D'Antoni going to the Nets George Foreman joins the show on the 46th anniversary of the Rumble in the Jungle Ravens and Steelers is the best rivalry in the NFL Last Take; Jerry Jones doesn't see another Herschel Walker-type deal happening but of course he should.
Bonus Episode: A Rare Conversation with Former Philadelphia 76ers GM Sam Hinkie
When the Philadelphia 76ers announced this week they were hiring Daryl Morey to be their president of basketball operations, it turned heads across the NBA. Not just because of Morey's track record with the Houston Rockets, but because of his close relationship with former 76ers GM Sam Hinkie. Hinkie's tenure with the 76ers was polarizing. With some accusing him of tanking and turning the team into a laughingstock, and others admiring his long-term vision for the team's success...a vision that has come to be embodied by the now ubiquitous phrase "Trust the Process." Hinkie, who was ousted from the franchise in 2016, now works not in basketball but in business, and has founded a venture capital firm called Eighty-Seven Capital. He joins Pablo Torre for an extremely rare, wide-ranging interview that covers his time with the Sixers, his exit from basketball, and his new life away from the game.
- Laughter Permitted kicks off Season 4 with Academy Award-winning actress Natalie Portman, who talks about her role in founding the newest NWSL team, Angel City, and why she was drawn to soccer as a way to make an impact in society. Natalie also shares why she felt compelled to put a spin on classic children's stories with her "Natalie Portman's Fables." Stay tuned to find out which role was Natalie's favorite and if we can ever expect a Natalie's Rap Part 3.
- Our search for Conrad Mainwaring began with a single tip, from a California man named Andrew Zenoff. Andrew reached out to reporter Mike Kessler and told the story of his older brother, Victor. The siblings had attended a summer camp in the late 70s, where Victor was allegedly molested by Mainwaring. By 1980, just short of his 18th birthday, Victor would die unexpectedly just days after telling his mother what Conrad did to him. For years, the Zenoffs grappled not only with the loss, but with so many unanswered questions. Beginning in 2017, after Andrew called Kessler, we began to look for answers. And we started with a question that seemed simple enough, but proved quite elusive: Who was Conrad Mainwaring?
- Karl Ravech and Buster discuss Kevin Cashs decision to pull Blake Snell, how analytical decisions are dividing baseball fans, if the championship means more to Dave Roberts or Clayton Kershaw, and Justin Turner returning to the World Series celebration after a positive COVID test (12:55). Then, Jake Odorizzi talks about what he saw in Snells stuff early on, if he thought Cash would pull Snell, if the decision will cause a rift between player and manager, and where the game is as an entertainment product (31:41). Later, Sarah Langs stops by to play The Numbers Game with notes on the Dodgers winning percentage, Mookie Betts home run and her favorite stat of the entire season (45:08).
- SVP & Stanford Steve are joined by Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury as he discusses play calling in the NFL, Kyler Murrays growth, his amazing house and more. Plus, the guys chat about the Big Ten, OSUs dominance over Michigan & condiments.
- Mark & Wes talk to Grace Raynor & Kelsey Riggs about Clemson not having Trevor Lawrence for tomorrow's game against Boston College.
FIND YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST
ESPN Originals30 for 30
Around the Rim
Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney
Behind the Bets with Doug Kezirian
Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective
Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg
Courtside with Greenberg & Dakich
DC & Helwani
Down & Distance
ESPN On Ice with Wyshynski and Kaplan
Fantasy Focus Baseball
Fantasy Focus Football
I'm Interested with Mike Greenberg
Jalen & Jacoby - The Aftershow
Laughter Permitted with Julie Foudy
Le Batard & Friends - Mystery Crate
Le Batard & Friends - South Beach Sessions
Le Batard & Friends - STUpodity
Marty Smith's America The Podcast
Matty & The Caddie
Sports? with Katie Nolan
Stanford Steve & The Bear
That's What She Said with Sarah Spain
The Adam Schefter Podcast
The Bill Barnwell Show
The CFB Podcast with Herbie, Pollack & Negandhi
The Gab & Juls Show
The Lowe Post
The Mina Kimes Show featuring Lenny
The Right Time with Bomani Jones
The Sporting Life with Jeremy Schaap
The Undefeated: Rhoden Fellows
The Woj Pod
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Get the latest updates on Twitter. Follow us.