Misty May-Treanor: Going for gold
1. Misty May-Treanor was born July 30, 1977 in Los Angeles.
2. As a kid, she played beach volleyball at the Santa Monica Pier. She entered her first volleyball tournament when she was 8 years old. Her dad, who was a member of the 1968 men's national volleyball team, was her partner.
3. She comes from athletic genes: Not only did her father play volleyball, additionally her mother was a nationally-ranked tennis player and her first cousin is retired professional tennis player Taylor Dent.
4. May-Treanor has an angel tattoo on her shoulder along with the initials B.M. in honor of her mother who died of cancer in 2002. Her other tattoos include the Roman numeral five on her back (the number she wore in college) and M-squared (for and her husband, Matt).
5. She led her high school indoor volleyball team to two state championships and, in 1994, was named the best girls volleyball player in the United States.
6. She was captain of the volleyball team at Long Beach State. In 1998, she was the starting setter and led her team to an undefeated season. She graduated with a B.A. in kinesiology.
7. In 1999, she joined the U.S. women's national volleyball team, but then left the squad to pursue beach volleyball.
8. Her first partner was Holly McPeak. They finished fifth at the Sydney Games.
9. May-Treanor next joined forces with Kerri Walsh. In 2003, they were 39-0 on the AVP tour and received Team of the Year honors.
10. In 2004, she married professional baseball player Matt Treanor.
11. Going into the 2008 Olympics, Walsh and May had won 101 consecutive matches and 18 consecutive tournaments dating back to June 2007.
12. As expected, they took home the gold at the Olympics in Beijing.
13. May-Treanor was cast on "Dancing with the Stars" in 2008, but left after tearing her Achilles tendon in rehearsals.
14. This November, May-Treanor will receive a Master's degree in coaching and athletic administration from Concordia University.
15. Her post-London Olympics plans include taking a long vacation and focusing on starting a family.