PGA Tour pro Robert Allenby, who told police that he was kidnapped, assaulted and robbed Friday night after missing the cut at the Sony Open, announced Tuesday morning that he will not play in this week's Humana Challenge.
The 43-year-old, four-time PGA Tour winner had been entered in the field before the incident in Honolulu.
"On the advice of my personal doctor, I have decided to withdraw from this week's Humana Challenge," Allenby said in a statement released through the PGA Tour. "This will enable me to ensure I am fully recovered prior to rejoining the PGA Tour. I anticipate a full recovery and look forward to returning in the near future."
The statement noted that, "any further updates on the investigation will come from local law enforcement."
On Monday, reports emerged about conflicting details of Allenby's story, which the Aussie disputed. In text messages to the Golf Channel, Allenby speculated that a homeless woman who had described finding him bloodied on a Honolulu street corner was "getting paid" to relay false details to media.
Allenby's original account said a homeless woman found him in a park 6½ miles away from the restaurant where he had dinner and was reportedly abducted from earlier in the evening.
Honolulu police were investigating the case as a second-degree robbery.
They said Tuesday they were looking into recent charges made on Allenby's credit card. No arrests have been made.
The police were also reviewing witness statements and gathering security video, the Honolulu PD said in a statement.