OAKLAND, Calif. -- The next to last stop of the Nike Football SPARQ Combine tour hit the San Francisco Bay Area on Saturday at Laney College. And it was a perfect day for testing with nearly 1,200 athletes in attendance, some coming from as far away as Kentucky.
After ranking as one of the top underclassmen last year in Oakland with a 91.65 SPARQ rating, Central (Fresno, Calif.) junior Rasean Jones will head back to the valley with the No. 1 score. He topped out at 120.69 and is looking forward to having a breakout season in the fall.
Two of the next three highest SPARQ ratings were from the valley city of Modesto, led by safety John Kreifels of Downey, who checked in at 118.86.
Athletes from Bakersfield, Granite Bay, Loomis, Fresno and Rancho Santa Margarita and two from Arizona rounded out the top 10.
Top Class of 2013 Performer
Johnny Stanton, QB, Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.)
After building up his reputation in leading his team to the CIF Division I state title this past season, Stanton is one of those athletes who certainly doesn't need to get a high SPARQ rating to improve any aspect of his recruiting. He wanted to see what he could do, however, in the Nike SPARQ events, and he did exceptionally well. Stanton's SPARQ rating of 115.56, in fact, was the third-best mark of the day. He did nothing to dispel any comparisons to Tim Tebow, who also had spectacular testing scores at a similar Nike combine.
Class of 2013 Honorable Mention Performers
Johnny Mundt, TE-DE, Central Catholic (Modesto, Calif.)
A 6-foot-5, 235-pound junior who first caught the attention of California observers when he had three sacks in his first game as a sophomore, Mundt racked up a 114.57 SPARQ rating, which was the fourth-best score of the day. He didn't get many catches this past season as a tight end because his team primarily ran the ball, but all the colleges that have offered him -- including Fresno State, Colorado and San Diego State -- are looking at him as a tight end.
Brandon Monroe, RB-DB, Del Oro (Loomis, Calif.)
This standout made the all-state underclass team for his exploits in helping the Golden Eagles reach the CIF Division II state title game. Monroe, who rushed for 1,662 yards with 22 touchdowns and had 56 tackles, came up with a 107.82 SPARQ rating. He handed over his card just as an interview was being finished with Granite Bay's Johnny Cooley about his taking the lead for the day with a 106.98 score -- Granite Bay and Del Oro are archrivals. Monroe recently received his first offer, from Fresno State.
Jarek Hilgers, RB, Desert Vista (Phoenix)
When Desert Vista ended the 53-game winning streak of Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.) in the 2011 Division I state final, it was Hilgers who scored the team's first touchdown. He averaged 10.9 yards per carry as part of a three-pronged rushing attack. Hilgers came to Oakland and shined with a 4.63-second mark in the 40-yard dash and nailed a 110.64 SPARQ rating.
Jacob Alsadek, OL, Torrey Pines (San Diego)
A massive prospect who measured at 6-foot-7 and 345 pounds, Alsadek was hard to miss and moved very well for his size. He had a 5.74 in the 40-yard dash plus an 88.68 SPARQ rating.
Top Underclass Performer
Kennedy Emesibe ('14), DE, 6-3, 235, Oak Hills (Hesperia, Calif.)
He's an emerging talent who played varsity basketball as a sophomore and could be a pass-rusher to watch in the fall. Emesibe had a 35.5-inch vertical jump and racked up an 87.96 SPARQ rating.
Other Underclassmen Who Impressed
WR Tony Ellison ('14), 6-0, 175, Granite Bay (Calif.)
RB Mitchell Layton ('14), 6-0, 190, Woodcreek (Roseville, Calif.)
RB Dante Johnson ('15), 5-9, 165, Skyline (Oakland, Calif.)
Oakland Nike Combine Top Fives
1. Rasean Jones, RB, 6-0,184, Central (Fresno, Calif.) -- 120.69
2. John Kreifels, DB, 5-8, 195, Downey (Modesto, Calif.) -- 118.86
3. Johnny Stanton, QB, 6-2, 221, Santa Margarita (Rancho SM, Calif.) -- 115.56
4. Johnny Mundt, DE-TE, 6-5, 235, Central Catholic (Modesto, Calif.) -- 114.57
5. Andrew Ballin, RB-DB, 5-11, 170, Hoover (Fresno, Calif.) -- 110.97
1. Ryan Severson, DB, 5-10, 186, Valley Christian (San Jose, Calif.) -- 4.49
1. Aeron Carr, WR, 5-9, 160, Red Mountain (Mesa, Ariz.) -- 4.49
3. Tony Ellison ('14), WR, 5-11, 160, Granite Bay (Calif.) -- 4.54
3. Jalen Ortiz, DB, 5-9, 170, Centennial (Peoria, Ariz.) -- 4.54
5. Marcelis Logan, RB, 5-9, 170, Lexington Catholic (Lexington, Ky.) -- 4.56
1. Johnny Cooley, RB-DB, 5-10, 180, Granite Bay (Calif.) -- 4.01
2. Tony Ellison ('14), WR, 5-11, 160, Granite Bay (Calif.) -- 4.04
3. Troy Kline, DB, 5-8, 150, Del Oro (Loomis, Calif.) -- 4.10
4. Grant Caraway, QB, 6-1, 185, Granite Bay (Calif.) -- 4.12
5. Travion Boykins, RB, 5-3, 159, Damien (La Verne, Calif.) -- 4.13
5. Zach LaBar, QB, 5-11, 181, Del Oro (Loomis, Calif.) -- 4.13
Kneeling power ball toss
1. Justin Barlow, DE, 6-2, 237, Great Oak (Temecula, Calif.) -- 44 feet
2. Jonathan Bade, DE, 6-5, 215, American Canyon (Calif.) -- 43 feet
3. Justin Gilbert, OL, 6-2, 260, Enochs (Modesto, Calif.) -- 42 feet
3. Andrew Ballin, DB, 5-11, 170, Hoover (Fresno, Calif.) -- 42 feet
3. John Kreifels, DB, 5-8, 195, Downey (Modesto, Calif.) -- 42 feet
1. Rasean Jones, RB, 6-0, 184, Central (Fresno, Calif.) -- 42.5 inches
2. Jarek Hilgers, RB, 6-1, 200, Desert Vista (Phoenix) -- 41.2 inches
3. Errol Dennis, RB, 5-8, 145, Merced (Calif.) -- 40 inches
4. Aeron Carr, WR, Red Mountain (Mesa, Ariz.) -- 39.3 inches
4. Avante Yarber, RB, Christian Brothers (Sacramento, Calif.) -- 39.3 inches