<
>

No injuries in minor Belmont barn fire

There were no injuries to horses or humans reported as a result of a small fire in a tack room in Barn 61 at Belmont Park on Thursday night. Michelle Nevin has most of the horses stabled in that barn.

According to Glen Kozak, the New York Racing Association's vice president of facilities/racing surfaces, some equipment was placed too close to an electric heater in a tack room, sparking the fire. The sprinkler system in the barn went off and doused the fire before the Elmont Fire Department arrived.

"No horses were moved, no horses were hurt," Kozak said. "We were lucky, it was a very minor event with minimal damage."

Kozak estimated the damage to be $2,500 and mostly to a wall in the tack room.