- Horse Racing - Pair pleads guilty to trespassing at Antley home

Horse Racing
NTRA Polls
Race Results
Results Ticker™
Live Racing
Money Leaders
Breeders' Cup
Daily Racing Form
AQHA Racing
Virtual Racing
Message Board
Wednesday, January 31
Pair pleads guilty to trespassing at Antley home

PASADENA, Calif. -- A friend of the late jockey Chris Antley and another man pleaded guilty Friday to a reduced charge of trespassing at the home where Antley was found dead last month from an overdose of drugs.

Timothy Wyman Tyler Jr., 24, who was a friend of Antley, and Jeffrey Robert Jones, 22, of the Sun Valley section of Los Angeles, were charged Jan. 16 with one count of first-degree residential burglary in the incident Jan. 11.

Both men pleaded guilty to trespassing, a misdemeanor.

Superior Court Judge Judson Morris Jr. sentenced Tyler to six months in the Los Angeles County Jail, but agreed that Tyler will serve his time in a residential drug treatment program.

Jones was sentenced to 90 days in jail and given one year's summary probation.

Tyler and Jones were arrested after neighbors called police reporting two men in Antley's yard with property they thought might have been removed from the vacant house, Pasadena police said.

Morris said Tyler had been told not to retrieve his belongings from Antley's home, but he attempted to do so with Jones' help.

Morris ordered both men not to return to Antley's house for any reason.

"The case was reduced because Mr. Tyler had lived in that residence," said Fritzie Galtiani, Tyler's attorney. "Mr. Tyler had property there and he wanted to get that. I'm not saying he used the best judgment."

Tyler, a Pasadena resident, had also been arrested with Antley on Sept. 28, when they were caught by police in the house with suspected illegal drugs.

Tyler was also arrested Dec. 3 -- the day after Antley died -- on three outstanding warrants involving drug and driving under the influence violations, police said.

The status of those arrests was not addressed in court Friday.

Galtiani said Tyler has attention deficit hyperactive disorder. She said Tyler was sentenced to a drug treatment program because doctors "need to refine and adjust the medication he's on."

"A lot of people believe Mr. Antley and my client did drugs together," Galtiani said. "My client was self-medicating. He's not addicted."

An autopsy showed Antley, who rode two Kentucky Derby winners, died of a multiple drug overdose.

Police initially investigated his death as a possible homicide, citing head injuries to the 34-year-old jockey. However, the Los Angeles County coroner said the injuries were nonfatal.

Pasadena homicide Detective Pete Hettema said police continue looking into where Antley obtained the drugs that caused his death. Toxicology testing found four drugs in Antley's system, including Clobenzorax, a weight-control drug not sold in the United States, and methamphetamine.

"He had a lot of chemicals in his system at the time," Hettema said. "To complete the investigation we want to look at what some of the sources were. We'd like to know how available this stuff (Clobenzorax) is."

Send this story to a friend | Most sent stories