$1 Million Up For Grabs in NASCAR
- NASCAR's annual All-Star Race will take place on Saturday night at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The format is new this year as the 70 lap distance is an ode to the 1992 race won by Davey Allison who wrecked as he crossed the finish line (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VileIKf90GA).
2017 Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race - Format
- The race consists of four stages (20 laps / 20 laps / 20 laps / 10 laps), totaling 70 laps. The final 10-lap stage will feature just 10 cars.
- The winner of each of the first three stages earns a spot in the final 10-lap stage, as long as they remain on the lead lap after the third stage.
- The cars with the best average finish in the first three stages will make up the remaining spots needed to fill the 10-car / 10-lap final stage.
- The remaining 10 cars will be lined up by average finish of the first three stages and given the opportunity to pit. Exit off pit road determines the starting order for the final stage.
- The winner is awarded $1,000,000.
2017 Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race - How to Qualify
- Won a points race in 2016 or 2017
- Won a previous All-Star Race and currently race full-time
- Won a MENCS Championship and currently race full-time
- Win one of the three stages of Monster Energy Open (Sat. 6 ET)
- Win the fan vote
Jimmie Johnson Right at Home
- Jimmie Johnson lives in Charlotte and feels right at home at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He has already won a record four All-Star Races, most recently in 2013. No other active driver has won the race more than once.
- Not only does he have the most All-Star race wins, but Johnson has eight wins in Cup Series points races at Charlotte. That is also the most all-time.
- Johnson has twice followed up an All-Star Race win with a championship, the only active driver to pull off that feat.
One More For Junior
- This will be the 18th and likely final All-Star race for 2000 All-Star winner Dale Earnhardt Jr. as he plans to retire following the season. His soon-to-be 18 starts are the most among active drivers and will give him one more than his father.
- The race doesn't consist of a full field but Earnhardt Jr.'s 14 top-10 finishes in his 17 All-Star races are the most in the history of the event.
- While he's seen success in the All-Star Race, Junior has never won in 33 Cup Series points races at his home track in Charlotte. That is tied for the most races at a single track without a win in Junior's Cup Series career (Loudon).
Who's Hot and Who's Not - All-Star Race Edition
- Jimmie Johnson: won record 4 All-Star Races
- Joey Logano: won 2016 All-Star Race; 3 top 5s in 6 All-Star races
- Matt Kenseth: 6.9 average finish in All-Star race, best among drivers with 10 starts
- Danica Patrick: 18.3 average finish in 3 career All-Star races, worst all-time (is not yet in 2017 race)
- Martin Truex Jr.: never led a lap in 6 career All-Star races
- Kyle Busch: no wins in 11 All-Star races and 26 points races at Charlotte but 227 career laps led at All-Star race, 2nd most of any driver all-time. Busch has also won seven All-Star Race segments, most by any driver never to win the event.
-- ESPN Stats & Information --