<
>

Baron Davis could play Tuesday

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Clippers guard Baron Davis is getting closer to making his exhibition season debut after sitting out the first two weeks of training camp because of a strained calf and a sore left knee.

The veteran point guard said Sunday he could play a couple of minutes in Tuesday's game against the San Antonio Spurs in Mexico City if he doesn't suffer any setbacks before then.

"Today was my first practice and I'm a little rusty," Davis said after the Clippers practiced Sunday morning.

"I'm not worried about it, though. I just have to keep working hard and just keep fighting, getting stronger and build my strength back in my leg so I can have the explosiveness that I need."

Asked whether his knee or his calf is a bigger issue at this point, Davis said: "It's really just a matter of getting both of them right. The knee is feeling good. It didn't swell up today after practice. We'll see what happens with the plane ride and playing in Mexico."

Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said Davis could be in line for "a few minutes against San Antonio" if he doesn't suffer any setbacks during the flight or after Monday's practice in Mexico City, which is at an elevation of more than 7,200 feet.

"We're just building him up," Del Negro said. "His conditioning is getting better. His weight is getting better. Really it's just a matter of getting him out there."

Del Negro had been critical of Davis' conditioning coming into training camp, stating publicly the veteran point guard had waited too long to get back into basketball shape.

So far, Davis has seemed to react well to those comments from his new coach.

He even laughed when rookie forward Blake Griffin interrupted his interview session with reporters by asking, "So Baron, how do you feel you've played personally?"

Davis laughed, then said: "I haven't played at all."

"Oh, that's right," Griffin joked.

ROSTER MOVES: The Clippers roster now stands at 15 after the team waived training camp invitees Stephen Dennis, Jon Scheyer and Jake Voskuhl on Saturday evening. The team must now decide whether it wants to carry the NBA-maximum 15 players into the season.

"We're still deciding on that," general manager Neil Olshey said.

If the team trims its roster again, it'd likely be one of the three players on non-fully-guaranteed contracts: guard Willie Warren, forward Marqus Blakely and center Jarron Collins.

Ramona Shelburne is a reporter and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow her on Twitter.