The NBA, responding to a report that its Las Vegas summer league will be canceled due to a potential July 1 shutdown over its labor dispute with players, said it has yet to decide whether the summer games will continue.
"No decision has been made on summer leagues," NBA spokesman Tim Frank told ESPN.com on Wednesday. He declined to discuss the league's timetable for making a decision.
The New York Daily News, citing unnamed league sources, reported Wednesday that the NBA had canceled the Las Vegas summer league as well as its annual college internship program.
The league is also not sending any teams to Europe for training camp and has not scheduled any preseason games there, according to the report.
The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union expires June 30 and there have not been formal talks between the two sides in months.
The NBA's primary summer league has been in Las Vegas in recent years, with a smaller league in Orlando. Both events typically begin in early July.
The NBA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet in New York this week. Collective bargaining negotiations and a likely July 1 lockout are paramount on the agenda.
In talks with the union, the NBA, which says more than half of its teams are losing money, has proposed instituting a hard salary cap, as well as shorter contract lengths and non-guaranteed deals.
Last month, union executive director Billy Hunter said a hard cap would effectively end guaranteed contracts. "We've had that right for years, and it's not something we're trying to give up," he said.
League sources have long speculated that the summer leagues will almost certainly to be a casualty of the labor situation. It takes months to plan the leagues, but they fall just days after an expected lockout would begin. Last year's Orlando league began July 5, and the Las Vegas league kicked off July 9.
Information from ESPN.com senior writer Henry Abbott was used in this report.