College Basketball Bubble Watch
Invites for power conferences might end at five
Maybe we could get Charles Barkley and Dwyane Wade to be Bubble Watch spokesmen this season. It appears many of the big-boy conferences have their "fives" set up and won't need to expand their NCAA Tournament circles.
• The Pac-10, labeled by most as the nation's best conference, could draw the line after USC unless Oregon, Arizona State or Cal really surges in the final few weeks.
• The Big Ten almost certainly will get five teams in and almost certainly won't get more than five in, barring a conference tournament miracle.
• With Oklahoma's injury woes, the Big 12 could be looking at a five-max scenario, in which Kansas, K-State, Texas, Baylor and A&M all look to be solidly in the field.
• There's room for a fifth team from the ACC, but who is it, assuming Maryland is fourth at the moment?
• Crazily, the SEC, bashed all season as being well off its recent quality, could get more teams in than any of those conferences. Meanwhile, off in the corner, the Big East is licking its chops and the A-10 has to love its chances of getting four teams in.
As always, the records listed are Division I only, per NCAA Tournament selection guidelines. If you have a legitimate grievance or just like talking bubble, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Next update: Feb. 17.