Maryland will conduct internal review amid FBI investigation

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland will conduct an internal review and cooperate with authorities after a Yahoo! Sports report linked a past player to the FBI's investigation into corruption of college basketball.

Terrapins coach Mark Turgeon reiterated that neither he nor anyone on his staff had any involvement with ASM Sports Agency, which reportedly paid college players. Diamond Stone, who played for Maryland in 2015-16, received $14,303 from the agency, according to the report.

"Obviously I was disappointed that a former player was acknowledged in this report," Turgeon said after the Terps' 85-61 loss to Michigan on Saturday. "I've always prided myself on doing things the right way; I've done that my whole career. I have absolutely zero relationship with that agent or that agency; I wouldn't know him if he walked in the room today. And we'll cooperate any way we can with the investigation."

Turgeon had canceled his previously scheduled media session Friday after the Yahoo! Sports report was published. In a statement released by the school Friday, he made it clear that he didn't have a relationship with anyone from that agency.

Asked Saturday whether anyone on his staff had any contact with the agency, Turgeon said, "There's no involvement with us and our staff. None. Zero." Turgeon addressed the matter with his players before Friday's practice.

"He told it has nothing to do with us," guard Anthony Cowan said. "When he said that, I think everybody kind of shut it out and really tried to focus on Michigan."

Stone was considered one of the top recruits when he chose Maryland, which jumped to a No. 3 preseason ranking before the 2015-16 season. He was the Terps' second-leading scorer last season, averaging 12.5 points for a team that lost to Kansas in the Sweet 16.

After declaring for the draft following one season, Stone was selected 40th overall by New Orleans and played just seven NBA games in his career.

Turgeon confirmed the school will conduct a investigation into the matter.

"It'll all be internal," Turgeon said. "We haven't heard from anybody else at this point."

Turgeon refused to blame the 24-point loss -- the largest home defeat in 20 years -- on the report from the day before, saying it didn't distract his players or himself.

"I'm pissed about [the report], but I haven't given it any thought," Turgeon said. "I'm disappointed I didn't have my team ready. That news does nothing to me."