<
>

DeQuan Jones rejoins Miami Hurricanes

MIAMI -- Miami Hurricanes basketball player DeQuan Jones received approval Tuesday to return to competition after he sat out the season's first 10 games because of an NCAA investigation into recruiting allegations.

The school issued a brief release saying the decision was made in consultation with the NCAA. The school said it would have no further comment "in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing joint inquiry."

Last month, the school said Jones would sit out the season. The reversal came one day before Jones was to appeal his case to a vice provost at the university.

"This is about DeQuan getting back on the court and his reputation being rehabilitated by the truth," said attorney Jason Setchen, who was retained by Jones' family to appeal the case. "Our position from day one has been that DeQuan and his family have done nothing wrong. I requested that if there was any proof, I would like to see it. It was my understanding at that time that there wasn't any. And we requested that his matter be re-evaluated."

Jones was implicated in a scandal that became public in August. While most of the allegations involved the football program, Yahoo! Sports reported an ex-booster said he provided $10,000 cash to Miami basketball coaches to recruit Jones.

The 6-foot-7 senior, who has continued to practice with the Hurricanes, averaged 4.5 points and 2.5 rebounds last season as a part-time starter. Miami's next game is Thursday at Charlotte.

"It's my understanding he will travel to North Carolina and participate in that game," Setchen said.