Manager brushes off 'minor landing issue'

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was
unfazed when his small jet skidded off a snow-covered Colorado
runway this week, joking he's had equally troubling times in a
baseball dugout.

"One guy said, 'You're really handling this all right,' " La
Russa said Thursday of the accident a day earlier at Pueblo
Memorial Airport. "More tongue in cheek, I said, 'After you have
one-run leads in the ninth for 20 years,' a minor landing issue gets
easier to brush off."

La Russa said he was "hitching a ride home" to California with
pals after a Tuesday night banquet of the St. Louis' chapter of the
Baseball Writers' Association of America when the jet landed to
refuel in Pueblo. La Russa said he was the only person affiliated
with the Cardinals on board.

"I'm pleased to report to my wife that I was thinking of her
instead of my dog," La Russa said, alluding to the couple's
11-year-old lab-terrier mix, one of their three dogs.

The Falcon corporate jet landed "pretty gentle" but began to
spin when only one of the twin-engine plane's two reverse thrusters
used to assist in braking deployed. The plane veered off the
runway, said Jerry Brienza, the airport's operations manager. The
airport's three runways were covered by about three-quarters of an
inch of snow at the time, Brienza said.

The plane came to rest about 100 feet off the runway, its wing
stuck in a snow bank and its right landing gear collapsed, said
Mike Fergus, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman in

"It was happening so fast, so loud and bumpy," La Russa said.
"It gets your attention, that's the best way to describe it. You
don't know what's going to happen, but you're paying attention."

When the jet finally came to a stop, La Russa said he "looked
around. There was no smoke, no fire." Rescue vehicles converged,
he said.

La Russa returned home later that day on another jet.

"I feel safer flying to California than driving on California's
freeways," he said.