PHOENIX -- Jose Vidro is staying home, wherever home might be next season.
The All-Star second baseman agreed to a $30 million, four-year contract extension with the Montreal Expos on Friday.
Vidro said the deal was completed in principle Wednesday. It was announced after the Expos snapped a four-game losing streak with a 4-3 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks.
"I've told you guys I didn't see myself in another uniform,"
Vidro said. "By signing me, it's a sign we are going to have a
home next year. We don't have a permanent home but I feel like in
this team I'm in my home."
The Expos, owned by the other 29 major league clubs, are playing 22 "home" games in Puerto Rico again this season to increase
Baseball is searching for a new home for the team, expected to move from Montreal sometime after this season.
Vidro, who would have been eligible for free agency after the
World Series, told his agents earlier this year not to call unless
the deal was completed.
"I'm very happy that this deal got done," he said.
Vidro has spent his entire seven-year career in Montreal,
becoming the Expos' player with the longest current tenure. The
three-time All-Star is hitting .262 with a team-high four homers
and 13 RBIs.
"He wanted to be here," general manager Omar Minaya said.
"This means we are able to hold onto one of our better assets.
We're going to be able to have a nucleus of players here to build
Vidro is completing a $19 million, four-year deal he signed in
Vidro entered Friday's game fifth on the Expos' career list in
doubles (242), sixth in runs (482), seventh in hits (973) and ninth
in RBIs (424).
The next piece of business for Minaya and the Expos is shortstop Orlando Cabrera, also eligible for free agency after the season.
"We'll have to see," Cabrera said. "We've come to agreement
to work it out and we'll see what happens. I don't have my hands
tied to stay here. I'm going to wait long enough and then decide
whether I want to stay here or to move on."