<
>

Bonds' interest in Team USA is news to manager

PHOENIX -- Barry Bonds is thinking about joining the United States team in the World Baseball Classic, assuming it advances to the second round of play.

But U.S. manager Buck Martinez says it's news to him. Martinez said he has no plans to alter his 30-man roster to make room for Bonds. WBC rules allow teams to substitute a player for the next round if there is an injury.

"We have absolutely no injuries," Martinez said.

ESPN analyst Rick Sutcliffe said Thursday night that he'd spoken with Bonds, who had expressed interest in the WBC. Martinez was interviewed during the game and said it would only happen if his team suffered an injury.

Bonds shagged a few fly balls on a back field at Scottsdale Stadium and took some cuts in the cage Friday before spending the rest of the morning socializing with members of the U.S. team before the Americans' World Baseball Classic game against South Africa.

He denied, however, to the San Francisco Chronicle that he wanted to join the team.

"What's that?" Bonds told the Chronicle. "That's not me. You know that. It's not my thing. Those guys [Team USA players] have been there all along. I would never do that. I haven't talked to them.

"If they ask me, that's something different. But that's not my style."

Bonds didn't travel to Tucson with the Giants a day after making his Cactus League debut with a single and a strikeout in a loss to the Angels, but was planning to be the designated hitter again Saturday against Oakland at Phoenix and appear in left field for the first time Sunday at home against San Diego.

Just before the first pitch of the Classic game, Bonds crossed the field from San Francisco's clubhouse -- by then being used by South Africa -- to hug Yankees star Derek Jeter behind home plate. He waved with both arms and walked into the U.S. dugout to a smattering of boos from fans.

On Thursday, former commissioner Fay Vincent, weighing in on the controversy caused by a book detailing Bonds' alleged drug use, said that current commissioner Bud Selig should investigate Bonds.

"I think he should hire somebody like John Dowd or set up a committee," Vincent said Thursday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "He needs to do that, maybe headed by Mario Cuomo or George Mitchell, somebody of that ilk."

Friday, ESPN's Pedro Gomez reported that baseball officials are taking a serious look at documentation in "Game of Shadows," but that suspending Bonds is not currently on the commissioner's radar.

The 41-year-old Bonds, still coping with a tender right knee following three operations last year, hopes to play opening day April 3 at San Diego after being limited to 14 games last season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.